diy solar

diy solar

Question about chassis grounding

Sal23

For Victron Quattro, Chassis ground is connected to AC Input ground - I inferred this from the system schematics here where DC ground for the battery is connected to AC ground at a single point (as recommended in grounding faq posted in this forum) via chassis ground.

I have a question about chassis ground connection to AC ground connection. I looked up Quattro manual and found the schematics below - I have circled chassis and AC Input ground for AC In 2 in red. Is it the case that chassis ground PE terminal is connected to AC In 2 PE terminal via chassis metal? The schematics doesn't show any obvious connection between both. So, I am guessing that the outline in the diagram acts as interconnection (since all PE connections are connected to it).

quattro_chassis.png

The answer to above helps make sure that DC ground current can be handled in the interconnection between chassis ground and AC ground. Since the DC system has MCB 600A, I inferred I need 1AWG Cu minimum (NFPA 70, National Electrical Code, Table 250-95) for ground connection between Chassis and battery negative bus bar, and between AC In 1 and main panel ground.

If I have got the above inference wrong as well, will appreciate corrections.

Last edited:
Nope, stationary.

I suspect my interpretation of block diagram is correct (will find out after I have the inverter in hand and am able to ilook at it). That is, the chassis ground is connected to AC input ground via metal chassis and so, can handle 600A current flow.

Back