diy solar

diy solar

re powering an older e-bike

Quick update: This morning I cut the power wires similarly to what the fellow (Darthracing) mentioned in the link did. The bicycle worked as his did. This being that in the off position it works like a regular bicycle. In the first level/position of assist the motor starts as it should when one starts pedaling but continues to run even if one is not pedaling. The motor does stop when the disc brakes are applied. The same results for the 2nd level of assist. The bike is on a repair stand so whether the motor is applying any extra power due to higher application of torgue is unknown. I will have to assemble the battery pack on the ebike and give it road test with hills to determine what power assist (if any) is increased with increased applied torque. Perhaps there is something to the comment made on the ebike forum that communication/data is required from the battery for proper performance. The remains of the old battery will (for a while at least) be stored against need for the BMS/Chipset.

IMHO This ebike has good looks but like the comment made about many designers/builders: "It was one of his early designs...and he learned a lot".
The reason I brought this whole question up to this forum is because I have been a member here for some time. It was thru his forum (and Will's first Forum) that I built my few stand alone and home installed solar power systems. There are some really smart people as members and I was in search of info about BMSs and how they work . Also today's test proved to me that using LiFePo 12.8 volt batteries in series works for powering the ebike. The weight of the battery removed taken against the weight of the new batteries means for an addition of 6 1/2 pounds I have perhaps doubled the range of the cycle...this will have to be empirically proven. The number of cycles the battery will provide will go from about a thousand for the Li ion to a claimed 4K cycles by the manufacturer (Li Time). The upfront cost is less using the LiFePo than a similarly rated Li ion battery. I have less fear of explosive fire using LiFePo batteries when charging indoors.
The goal to set up a stand alone solar charger is yet to be manafested. I have all the parts... I seem to have ended up with several orphan panels which should work well. This too was part of the reason for bringing this to the forum.

Many thanks to all who offered input and for the tolerance of the slightly off topic nature of this thread by the forum as a whole.

Bests, Wiley

l think "illegal" is a bit of a stretch for a bicycle.
Yes, hard to believe but in many/most parts of the world this ebike stuff is closely regulated. ("Nanny States", you say?) Perhaps not where you live which is presumably the US

Back