diy solar

diy solar

Redodo 12v 100ah acting weird, won't charge/discharge

PascalB

Hi, i have a brand new Redodo battery.

Here's the story,( if it can help) move down for the problem.
I bought a lifepo4 20amp charger to top it. Unfortunately, i left the charger plugged on the battery, but no in the wall ( i know, dumb move)
I have never used this battery before. When i tried to use it on my RV, it would not power it. I tought it was drained to i plugged the charger on it. Charger says it was full. I got it to work a bit by powering the rv with the charger and the battery and it would wake up a bit. then i applied very low draw on it (cause i still tought it was overcharged and cutting power to protect it if demand was too high). Then i applied a few amps draw on it (maybe 10) it was working fine. Great i tought. so i closed all the lights/fans, only my gas refrigerator was being powered by the battery (running on gas so it was drawing milliamps only for the electronic board). During the night, the battery stopped working. Still would not charge. I i went and bought a pb back up battery and a multimeter to test what the hell is going on.

Here's what is happening.
Battery was sitting at 10.45V Then, now i know it was not overcharged but probably drained by leaving the charger on it, unplugged.
at home, it's sitting now at 11.4Volts, Won't charge, won't discharge. The weird part is, if i connect any charging leads on it, it instantly drops to 0.3V.
I tried to jump it with the PB battery for 2 minutes to wake it up. won't work.
I tried to charge it with my RC cars charger (has a lot of options) using LIFE charging profile, 4S 5000mah. does not want to charge because it detect 0.3v at the leads.
I tried to use a PB charger to charge it. it's showing fully charged after 1 minute.
I tried to use a NIMH profile to charge it with the RC charger. It will send 4.5-5 amps and the battery seems to take it, but voltage gets quite high, 16.5-17.5V and after 2-3 minutes, the BMS disconnect. (I know because i see the voltage dropping instantly on the charger)
If i trick the charger by jumping another battery on it to let it believe voltage is not too low, charger will charge but the battery will not accept the charge from a LIFE profile charge. (put an amp meter between the leads and the battery)
If i use my RC charger as a power supply, setting it to 16v it will take 400mah. setting it to 14.6v it doesn't seem to take anything.

I defenetly should have paid for a blutetooth model, at least i would have known the problem from the begining.
I contacted Redodo, i'll see if they want to replace it. I don't really want to return it cause i know it's probably my fault that the damn thing is dead.
Last option is to open it and charge each cell individually with the RC charger but it will trash the casing...
Thanks for your help if you have any solutions for me!

Why would leaving the charger on it unplugged drain it?
well, i don,t know, but i have no clue on why it was fully charged then and now sitting at quite a low voltage and i did not use it at all. So it was my hypothesis.
BTW, it's been an hour since i stopped trying to charge it, and it shows 10.82v on my multimeter. It should be out of protection, at least for charging but no.

well, i don,t know, but i have no clue on why it was fully charged then and now sitting at quite a low voltage and i did not use it at all. So it was my hypothesis.
BTW, it's been an hour since i stopped trying to charge it, and it shows 10.82v on my multimeter. It should be out of protection, at least for charging but no.
I highly doubt your charger being left on while unplugged is the problem. Hopefully Redodo can help.

FWIW, I’m very impressed with the customer service and battery quality/features from Powerurus. The Bluetooth is very helpful.

I highly doubt your charger being left on while unplugged is the problem. Hopefully Redodo can help.

FWIW, I’m very impressed with the customer service and battery quality/features from Powerurus. The Bluetooth is very helpful.
Being in canada, we have a lot less options for LIFEPO4 batteries on amazon. After seeing Will's teardown, i was pleased by the build quality. Shipping and packaging was very good too. But as with any chineese product, i know 1 battery might be awesome, and the other complete crap.

Being in canada, we have a lot less options for LIFEPO4 batteries on amazon. After seeing Will's teardown, i was pleased by the build quality. Shipping and packaging was very good too. But as with any chineese product, i know 1 battery might be awesome, and the other complete crap.

I hear ya, it's a bit of a crap-shoot more so with the budget brands. I was willing to pay $30-100 more for a 200Ah battery to get better quality and have less of a chance of the crap-shoot.

FWIW, if you end up in the boat of returning this battery and getting something different, check out the Aolithium. It's listed on amazon.ca. I see the Redodo 100Ah goes for $459. The Aolithium 100Ah goes for $529. $70CAD more, yes, but the teardowns I have seen of the Aolithium are jaw dropping quality, especially for the price. And they have the nicest bluetooth app I've ever seen for a LiFePO4 battery. You can download the app and see some of the features of the app even without having a battery to connect to.

I hemmed and hawed over the Powerurus vs Aolithium. I think the Aolithium is better build quality than anything else close to it's price. In the end I chose the Powerurus 200Ah because I didn't want to deal with 2x100Ah batteries in parallel, as Aolithium currently only has 100Ah models.

I've seen a very similar thing happen to a guy in Hawaii, his YouTube channel is called Projects in Paradise, you should watch that video, I suspect it's a failed BMS, and the unplugged charger has nothing to do with it..You can watch him go through exactly what you are describing..

Hi, i'm a bit late for the news but i wanted to mention it, after a few emails with redodo trying to fix the problem, they exchanged the battery and paid for the shipping.
Very satisfied with their service. They almost emailed me everyday for keeping me up to date with the RMA.

Back