diy solar

diy solar

Roof Panel Mounting, high wind zone, 6 clamps ok?

sun walker

Hi, Panels are TW 415W 1085 x 1722mm (as big as a door), on a 15 degree steel roof. Area has v. high gusty wind.
Manual instructs & typically mounted with 4 clamps per pv, no mention of wind zones.
I'm planing on securing as recommended the 4 clamps to short rails(250mm, ~10'') with 2 roof attachments per rail.
Plus 2 extra clamps midway on the pv (6 rails & clamps per pv). Purlins are well positioned.

Dumb question perhaps, is it ok to add the 2 extra clamps?

My concern's are their spec design, perhaps they are meant to flex in the middle,
& if I don't secure them in the middle, they will flex, & may micro crack, which looks bad, & can leak current on wet days to the roof (which I was planning to ground). Watched a video on that occurring, its like an arc welder.
I have a green house attached to the house (winters passive solar heater), with poly-carbonate roofing, its 25 years old (life time guarantee - good luck on claiming that), its cracked up , needs total replacement, when its a gale it flex's, popping in & out, yet has recommended attachment. My guess is, it needs a lot more to avoid damage. So don't want to repeat the mistake with the pv's.

I have smaller 250W panels 998x1400 but winds up to 70 to 90 mph during winter and 4 mounting points has worked so far for me, so 6 on a larger panel would be what I would do as the wind force is on a larger area. Mine are mounted on Unistrut not on a roof so not as rigid as a roof.

Back