diy solar

diy solar

Security camera power

Djlemmo

I want to power one Foscam security camera. The plug in power adapter is 12 volt 2 a. The camera specs say it uses less than 20w. I’m thinking of buying a 100 w solar panel along with a solar charge controller, and a battery and connecting the camera directly to the charge controller output. I would cut off the cameras 110 volt power adapter. Will this work? What size and type of battery would I need? I have absolutely no experience with any solar power

I want to power one Foscam security camera. The plug in power adapter is 12 volt 2 a. The camera specs say it uses less than 20w. I’m thinking of buying a 100 w solar panel along with a solar charge controller, and a battery and connecting the camera directly to the charge controller output. I would cut off the cameras 110 volt power adapter. Will this work? What size and type of battery would I need? I have absolutely no experience with any solar power

Depends if the camera works at peak charge voltage of 14.4V. Some equipment really wants 12V, some is more flexible.

Only the manufacturer can answer the question.

20W * 24h = 480Wh

You'll need EXCEPTIONAL sun to consistently get 480Wh from 100W of PV year round. Dare I say it's going to be impossible in Pennsylvania during winter. I would recommend at least 200W, but you should evaluate your available solar for your location.

A 12.8V/100Ah LFP battery would give you 2.6 days of power.

Depends if the camera works at peak charge voltage of 14.4V. Some equipment really wants 12V, some is more flexible.

20W * 24h = 480Wh

You'll need EXCEPTIONAL sun to consistently get 480Wh from 100W of PV year round. Dare I say it's going to be impossible in Pennsylvania during winter. I would recommend at least 200W, but you should evaluate your available solar for your location.

Yes, yes you dare. It's impossible.
12 - 305w angled properly for winter and S facing.
9 - 315w angled poorly for winter and S facing
9 - 315w angled poorly for winter and W facing
... Past 3 days.
Screenshot_20231204-190724.jpg
Welcome to the forum @Djlemmo .

My ethernet LAN IP cam uses 2.5 watts at 12Vdc. 20 watts would make it very hot to the touch. Cloud based WiFi cams run on single 10Wh Lion cell for weeks equivalent to ~20 milliwatts on average.

Last edited:

20W * 24h = 480Wh

Back