diy solar

diy solar

ShunBin Battery Packs: 12V/24V 100AH and up ! A Complete RIP-OFF ! AVOID

Well, I'm using this battery now. 2nd cycle since I received it, used about 2,300 Watts DC so far (with losses considered) after full charge. All cells are balanced with one another (~3.30V per cell, 26.32V total under load). Everything's still looking good. I'm averaging about 400 Watts per hour tonight. Currently powering my home office room now (ie. 2 Desktop computers, 1 laptop, 5 monitors, a stereo, a 48" TV with sound bar, and 2 room fans). I even plugged in my refrigerator to bump up the usage a bit. Bumps up to about 650 Watts when the fridge is running. I'm surprised I'm not drawing more power than it seems. I have no complains with this battery so far. it's working as expected.

I'm still apprehensive to power anything unattended from it until I get a little more experience with it (proven itself). So, I shut it all down when I'm not around. I'll leave it running my fridge over-night to see how it does.
Thanks a lot, keep the updates coming, wish I could fin way to cross post your pictures etc into this thread to amalgamate the info. You said in the other posting that No Documentation was provided by the vendor (I read that last night), I find that a bit peculiar and bothers me a bit. So I'm curious, what Charging Profile are you using ?

Because I'm using a Midnite Classic 200 Solar Controller and the Samlex EVO-4024 Inverter/Charger setting up the charge profiles is a tad trickier, plus the available amps for charging will have to be programmed in as well, maybe a charge rate of 50 Amps max.
Bulk Voltage: 28V - 29.2V
Absorption Voltage *: 28V - 29.2V Absorption Time 0-15 min
Float Voltage *: 26.6V - 27.6V
Equalize *: OFF or as short time possible @ float voltage
VOLTAGE CUTOFFS Low Voltage: 22V - 24V High Voltage: 29.2V
* not necessary
I'm making the "assumption" from my collected research, that by using a lower rate @ 28V to charge vs 29V can help mitigate some heating potential and extend life cycles (very generalised) but there seems to be some extended debate on that.

If it had a different BMS I could use the Control Signal capability to start/stop charging on the Samlex & Classic but it doesn't have that from my understanding. Gosh I'm anxious to get mine.

EDIT: Modyfied 1st post to include images my system for more background info on what I am working with.

Last edited:
I don't have this battery, but the vendor I bought mine from emailed me the documnetation when I requested it before purchase.

They will probably send it to you if you inquire.

In another thread, Johan posted a link to information on BMS' related to a question I had about Chargery Brand BMS' which had been recommended to me while I was looking at using 12 GM Volt 6S packs. Info on Many Brands of BMS, plus Cells (and their manufacturers worldwide) and more makes it a very valuable site: http://liionbms.com/php/index.php

Posing it as a Reference for folks because with this Battery Pack, we don't know what's inside the magic box. (also because I don't want to forget it)

Well, my inverter just shutdown during the 2nd discharge cycle of my new 24V 400Ah LiFePO4 battery after a few days of on & off usage. After some more meter issues, I got about 8,786 Wh total (includes conversion loss). I'd been mainly using the Kill-A-Watt meter, but noticed this evening that the total Watts reading was dramatically lower (about half) from before. It appears it may not be accurately retaining the previous accumulated totals when turned on & off each time. So, I'm having to combine numbers from what I remembered this morning and resetting the meter to zero then adding tonight's watt usage until the Battery Protect shut-off at 23.6V. I'd been shutting off the inverter whenever I wasn't home after a few days, so I'm wondering if the meter's not been keeping an accurate accumulation of the total watts used. The number was always increasing each day until earlier this evening.

I bought a hall effect Drok meter about a months ago, but it's not been working right since I got it. I had it hooked up and comparing it with the Kill-A-Watt meter, but getting conflicting differences along with the voltage display on the batter box itself, my digital multi-meter, and my other coulomb meter. I also have a Watts-up meter, but hadn't been using it for discharging as the connection wires on it seem to small to push too many Amps through. I may try it on the next test.

So, the total seems a little disappointing as I was expecting to get at least 9,600 Wh, but was kind of expecting more since the cells are new (10K+ Wh). But, there's a good possibility this has not been a sufficient capacity test with the components I'm using.

I'm trying to be honest here based on this experience thus far, good or bad.

So, based on the 8,786 Wh total and comparing it to expected results, depending on how you want to compare:

24V x 400Ah = 9,600 Watts ÷ 8,786 Watts actual = 91.5%
25.6V x 400Ah = 10,240 Watts ÷ 8,786 Watts actual = 85.8% (24V Nominal)

or

8,786 Watts actual ÷ 24V = 366 Ah
8,786 Watts actual ÷ 25.6V = 343 Ah (24V Nominal)

Not quite the 400 Ah as marketed based on this one test.

I'll do another test refining my approach with what I have to work with and see how it compares.

I'm outta town the next few days so It'll be a bit before I get to mess with this battery again. I'll be up at our recreational hunting property this weekend messing with the solar power setup we have up there (using a bunch of cheap 6V golf cart batteries).

@Delta-V Thank you for the tests. I, like many others here want to see the real, raw, un-"conversion-loss" numbers and I think you are on the right track. As I've said before, even if they don't meet the rated capacity they may still be a great deal.

We have enough fan-boys here, we don't need any bullshit "it may have been better if" excuses, want actual tested raw data. And we thank you for it!

As a guinea pig, like it or not, you have a very important role You could be the hero that confirms these are the real deal so everyone on the fence (like me) can buy them. You could be the hero that says "I got screwed" and save thousands of us from wasting our money! Or you could be the guy who could never admit he got screwed, and get thousands of us to waste our money too because misery loves company.

You sound like you'll be a hero no matter what the tests say....Thank you!

I chose to purchase two of their 12v 400AH batteries that I am using in series for my 24v system. They were delivered on Oct 21st. This gave me the flexibility of utilizing the batteries in a mobile 12v arrangement down the road, should the fertilizer ever hit the fan, and these smaller 80 lb batteries keeps them much more maneuverable. (Two is one, One is none)

There was no additional cost incurred with going this route, even though two stainless steel cases and two BMS are used in the fabrication.

And, another great option... by utilizing my Amazon Prime card through Chase bank, the $6500 purchases for these and the balance of my system's components was done with 0% interest for 18 months. ...This allows us the freedom of dropping our utility charges to the minimum immediately, and paying in very manageable 18 payments.

I chose to purchase two of their 12v 400AH batteries that I am using in series for my 24v system. They were delivered on Oct 21st. This gave me the flexibility of utilizing the batteries in a mobile 12v arrangement down the road, should the fertilizer ever hit the fan, and these smaller 80 lb batteries keeps them much more maneuverable. (Two is one, One is none)

There was no additional cost incurred with going this route, even though two stainless steel cases and two BMS are used in the fabrication.

And, another great option... by utilizing my Amazon Prime card through Chase bank, the $6500 purchases for these and the balance of my system's components was done with 0% interest for 18 months. ...This allows us the freedom of dropping our utility charges to the minimum immediately, and paying in very manageable 18 payments.
Sounds good, I assume you are pleased at this point with your acquisition, please let us know how things continue... I keep watching UPS Tracking, gee they don't update much do they LOL.

Thanks for Chiming In !
Hmmm, 13th eh ! just had to, I have history with 13's. ;-)
Good to hear it, I am still anxiously checking UPS Tracking ! Keep us informed how things go, the more info we can collectively put together, the better for everyone facing these decisions about what to get.

Another update. 3rd discharge cycle of my new Shun Bin 24V 400Ah battery box. Got 8,913 Watts total according to my Watts-Up meter that was directly connected to the battery the whole time (never turned-off, never disconnected). No conversion-losses in this case. Averaged about 600 Watts-per-hour over the last 3 evenings/nights.

1st discharge cycle - ~8,500 Wh total (started using outta the box, assumed not fully charged)
2nd discharge cycle - 8,786 Wh total
3rd discharge cycle - 8,913 Wh total

24V x 400Ah = 9,600 Watts potential ÷ 8,913 Watts actual = 92.8%
25.6V x 400Ah = 10,240 Watts potential ÷ 8,913 Watts actual = 87.0% (24V Nominal)
or
8,913 Watts actual ÷ 24V = 371 Ah
8,913 Watts actual ÷ 25.6V = 348 Ah (24V Nominal)

So, after 2 full discharge cycles, it looks like it couldn't exceed 9 kWh total. About 13% less than expected (25.6V, Nominal 24V). New batteries tend to be better than expected, so I was expecting at least 10kWh.

I'm speculating I may have strong new 300 Ah cells, weak 400 Ah cells, or rounded-up marketing numbers to make the battery seem better than it really is.

So, it's lookin' like I spent about USD $339 per kWh (8.850 kW average ÷ USD $2,999 = 339 kWh, includes metal box and charger). Not a rip-off, but not what was expected either (or led to believe). Somewhere in between.

I'm thinkin' about taking the battery apart this weekend and see if I can learn more about the cells inside.

Another update. 3rd discharge cycle of my new Shun Bin 24V 400Ah battery box. Got 8,913 Watts total according to my Watts-Up meter that was directly connected to the battery the whole time (never turned-off, never disconnected). No conversion-losses in this case. Averaged about 600 Watts-per-hour over the last 3 evenings/nights.

1st discharge cycle - ~8,500 Wh total (started using outta the box, assumed not fully charged)
2nd discharge cycle - 8,786 Wh total
3rd discharge cycle - 8,913 Wh total

24V x 400Ah = 9,600 Watts potential ÷ 8,913 Watts actual = 92.8%
25.6V x 400Ah = 10,240 Watts potential ÷ 8,913 Watts actual = 87.0% (24V Nominal)
or
8,913 Watts actual ÷ 24V = 371 Ah
8,913 Watts actual ÷ 25.6V = 348 Ah (24V Nominal)

So, after 2 full discharge cycles, it looks like it couldn't exceed 9 kWh total. About 13% less than expected (25.6V, Nominal 24V). New batteries tend to be better than expected, so I was expecting at least 10kWh.

I'm speculating I may have strong new 300 Ah cells, weak 400 Ah cells, or rounded-up marketing numbers to make the battery seem better than it really is.

So, it's lookin' like I spent about USD $339 per kWh (8.850 kW average ÷ USD $2,999 = 339 kWh, includes metal box and charger). Not a rip-off, but not what was expected either (or led to believe). Somewhere in between.

I'm thinkin' about taking the battery apart this weekend and see if I can learn more about the cells inside.
I have a suspicion that the BMS in the pack may be a factor as well on your actual capacity, depends on what it is programmed to do and it's cut offs and whatnot. IF you do decide to get deep into it, please photo the BMS and any / all it's markings so maybe we can find out more about what they use. I really wonder because they state on the ads that they can provide different BMS' with different amperage rates etc which makes me curious. BTW: Check out Will's recent vid's on Riuxiu ? and Valence teardowns, enlightening indeed.

EDIT: Status Update:
In Transit 11/14/2019 8:24 P.M. Louisville, KY, United States Arrival Scan
11/14/2019 10:45 A.M. Anchorage, AK, United States Departure Scan
It's trundling along to it's new home !

Last edited:
Awesome information, the 620ah battery peaked my interest. Thanks for the info guys!

I ordered and received a 24V 200A relay today. I disconnected my 200A Victron Battery Protect and swapped it out with the relay (apparently it's not good to connect a Battery Protect directly to an inverter). Originally, I had the Battery Protect low-voltage cut-off set to 23.6V.

The BMS that's built-in to my 24V 400A battery box apparently has a low-voltage cut-off of 20V (or 2.5V per cell), according to Shun Bin. The 23.6V was a conservative setting to avoid completely draining the battery to 0%. When letting the BMS do the shut-off, I managed to eek out another 300 Watts with the relay. It shut-off at about 20.9V. So, if I combine the 8,913 watts from yesterday plus the 300 Watts today, it looks like the battery would have at least passed the 9kW total. NOTE: This is going from about 100% to almost 0% capacity, 29.2V max to 20.9V min (from highest cell being 3.65V to lowest cell 2.45V), after a few minutes after cut-off, the lowest cell settled to 2.501V.

The BMS kept the battery terminals disconnected (zero volts) until I hooked the wall charger up to it. So, it looks like it's working as expected. Not sure what voltage it reconnects at (perhaps 21.5V).

I'll take the battery apart tomorrow and take good pics of the cells and BMS. I wanna weigh a cell to see what the expected energy density would be.

Last edited:
Well, I opened up the battery a bit more today. Discovered a disappointing revelation. Each of the cells are only 174 AH instead of the expected 200 AH (174 x 2 = 348 AH instead of 400 AH). Which explains why I'm not getting the total capacity I was expecting for a 400 AH battery. This falls in line with the output I've been getting, though. So, it looks like the marketing was rounded up.

24V x 348 AH = 8,352 Watts potential
25.6V x 348 AH = 8,908 Watts potential (24V Nominal)

I couldn't reasonably get any of the cells out without tearing it apart any further. The BMS doesn't have a model number that I could tell.

Some pics below.

It looks like they tested each cell, and wrote the capacities (voltage?) on them. Why, were these used cells? Or Did they just go through the trouble to manually match cells? Anyone know if this is normal to do with new cells from the same batch? I guess it shows they cared enough to match them, but it also surprises me.

Back