diy solar

diy solar

ShunBin Battery Packs: 12V/24V 100AH and up ! A Complete RIP-OFF ! AVOID

UPDATE sorta:
Given that no docs of any kind came with the unit, including what the specs are etc, email interchange is occurring. I've received no good response yet to my basic questions. Somehow I expected better, to be honest but I suppose I should not be surprised. No answer will mean doing surgery to the pack... but that is another thing too.

I will post my questions & answers received in this "post" within the thread for all to see. They are aware that there is an extended thread/discussion which I will be posting the info to. (I did not give them the link though, but google finds it fast LOL. )

Questions Posted to ShunBin via Amazon
(note, there was a bit of titter tatter back & forth, translation issues likely, so I'm skipping that and just putting the 'meat' here_
The Q's:'
My Questions AGAIN – response will be posted to Public Forum with over 1000 international “watchers”.

There is absolutely no paperwork of any sort included for either the charger(s) or the battery pack.
What are the recommended charging parameters ?
What are the specifications 's of the BMS, is it 100A or the 150A I asked for ?
  • For clarity * Hi / Lo Voltage Cutoff, Lo Temp cutoff (I am in Canada and see -35C) etc the Specifications as you provided.
Why is there no assembly / build sheet with that information, especially as you allow for custom orders / specifications.
Can you email OR provide a link to documents for
A) the Chargers S600-12/50A chargers and
B) this pack build & recommended parameters etc

NOTE: Are you aware that there is over 1000 people following this purchase, as well as a few others who have bought ShunBin packs, within a large forum in the USA (being watched internationally). Responses and actions will be posted to that international forum for the general public to see.
-
- Please respond to all questions, not just one, as previously done.
Thanks in Advance for your assistance,
** Always good to let them know they are being observed and given this thread now pops up in Google Search (over 1k views) it could affect future sales. If in doubt, consider the Riuxu (sp?) and BattleBorn teardowns.... BB sales went up apparently...

ANSWER Received
#1: Hello, the charging voltage is: 28.8V-29.2V ,The continuous discharge current of BMS is 300A,BMS can be suitable for 100A,Lifepo4 is easy to use, what recommendations parameter do you need?

#2: Charging temperature : 0~45 ℃ Discharge temperature : -20 ~ 60 ℃ Storage temperature : -20 ~ 45 ℃ Lo Voltage Cutoff 20V,There is no Lo Temp cutoff ,Only high temperature cutoff, we don't have a manual yet,The charger output current is 50A, BMS (Battery Management System): With built-in BMS for over-current, over-discharge, over-charge, short-circuit, adverse-polarity connection, balancing functions

Hmmmm, okay… hmmmm

Last edited:
A word of advise in regards to those chargers. Those are not chargers, they are power supplies
I have been searching for info on the Charger setup. While it looks like a Meanwell (many do) it's labelled as "LED Power S600-12" and the only other label has Kejian" on it but everything else is in Chinese on that so.... I can't find "LED Power or Kejian" using google or duckduckgo so I dunno what to think about that, other than being a tad unimpressed.
I would be very careful with those "chargers" as they seem to be plain constant current power supplies designed for LED lights. While this is OK to bulk charge the battery, they must be disconnected at the end of charge to avoid holding the battery at the charge voltage for too long as it shortens the calendar life of the battery ( essentially slowly overcharging it ). This is why good chargers must have either a float stage or a shut off at the end of charge.

When I first went to lift the LifePO pack my back immediately remembered the manhandling of the Rolls Batteries which are 120 lbs a pop, X8... ugh.

I let the pack sit because it arrived and was extremely cold and I felt it best to let it fully warm up / thaw out thoroughly before dong anything. The two charger's are mounted to a single aluminium plate (thing was wrapped in 20' of stretchy plastic... geez) I noted that I got 50A and you got 30A, how odd. I had asked if they would make it with a 150A bms rather than 100A but that was after I placed the order and don't know if they did or not.

UGH ! Something I really don't like
- No Documentation of any sort included. no specs, no details, built sheet, nothing. No info on the charger(s) either. No company or warranty info.
- The BMS is mounted in such a way, that the NEG Lug on it stands proud, with the lid on, it puts some strain / pressure on the PCB (never a good thing) causing it to push down a bit. They KNEW THIS and their solution was to put a lot of "white goop" over the lug and then cover over it with a double piece of that fiberglass(?) insulator.
-- SERIOUSLY, How hard would it be to toss in a Photocopy of a spec sheet, charge profile info and when filling out the assembly label (only item on it) could put what the BMS Amperage is etc...

Couple of things I like right off:
- Case is Stainless Steel, strong & durable, well made, solid handles (thank goodness at 71kg they got to be).
- Everything is well secured & glued down / fixed to prevent any movement, even all the connectors are sealed in.
---- CON, lot's of glue & sealant, not very 'tidy' but that's just minor.... all wires & connections seems to be very well secured though, something that not all companies do, actually. (thinking of Will's recent tear downs (not the battleborn - they are awesome IMO)
- The Cells and assembly is quite snug but not overly tight and there is isolator sheeting (fiberglass(?)) on all sides internally around the cells.

@Delta-V I have to ask, did you come up with any trick to soften up that white glue sealant stuff ? Seems they also used some kind of epoxy in a few places as well, I don't want to break anything as I want to "gently" take it apart to examine it. Also I no longer have any of my testing equipment & tools I used to for electronics works (was all destroyed) so I am limited to what I can do to test the pack. I would rather test this "outside" of my running solar system before I incorporate it, which creates a few other issues as I want to keep the FLA side (bank-1) going for as long as I can... that may be another thread I think. Suggestions on load testing etc it simply would be helpful, all I have a decent DVOM. no extra funds to buy a pile of gear either.

EDIT: 09:30 hrs
I have been searching for info on the Charger setup. While it looks like a Meanwell (many do) it's labelled as "LED Power S600-12" and the only other label has Kejian" on it but everything else is in Chinese on that so.... I can't find "LED Power or Kejian" using google or duckduckgo so I dunno what to think about that, other than being a tad unimpressed.
Interesting... The bolt on my BMS doesn't stick up that much.

I had no trouble unscrewing the goop'd-up screws & bolts. I just used a pocket knife to cut the white caulk stuff. I used a screwdriver to carefully pop the hot glue dabs. I carefully pulled/ pried up the fiberglass sheet up and the glue would give away. I had one or two trouble spots, but I just took my time working them through.

You should be able to at least partially lift up one of the side sheets covering the cells to see the Amp-hour rating.

Yeah, I've been stuck using a Kill-A-Watt meter and Watts-up meter to do my capacity tests. Not ideal, but worked well enough to give me some idea of the capacity. I wanna find a decent meter to measure input & output power usage. I've not had much luck with the cheap Chinese meters for some reason. I have a coulomb meter, but it's really just a percent available gauge.

I'm getting about 4.5 Kwh a day from my 1 Kwh solar array recharging the battery. I'm currently running everything in my home office from the battery now, including a portable space heater that periodically turns on & off. Ranging from 250 - 1,000 Watts per hour (averaging about 560 Watts per hour). Already saved $0.08 off my power bill in the last hour, ha ha.

So, the battery is doing what I had planned for it so far. Light/ medium daily usage and as a hurricane power-outage backup. Although, I was hoping it'd have the expected capacity for wiggle-room usage.

Will has a wonderful site here.
Please use his image host, not a link to images hosted on a sharing site.
Does the local image host show full sized images? The reduced sized images make it hard to see details in the images.

It's slightly better, 563 x 1,000 pixels. Still smaller than my 1,920 x 1,080 monitor resolution (both in Windows & Linux).

Most cellphone cameras can do megapixel resolution these days. I understand the local image hosting is trying to find a happy medium between image size & quality to optimize storage space. It's okay in most cases to default to a reduced image size, but it would be nice if there were an option to allow full resolution (or at least larger then default size options) when wanting to show more image detail.

I checked my android camera, it said the image was 2000x4000, so the site must be resizing automatically. I could ask will to allow the resizing on thumbnail images to be larger.

ordered 3.2v 100ah battery, turned up with a hole and had leaked, and what looks like a made in 2002 sticker on it but they claim it's new.
They offered me a refund if I removed my comments from Amazon.
They appear to have removed the 100ah battery so my comment and photo won't show up on Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_20191121_092750[1].jpg
    IMG_20191121_092750[1].jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
ordered 3.2v 100ah battery, turned up with a hole and had leaked, and what looks like a made in 2002 sticker on it but they claim it's new.
They appear to have removed the 100ah battery so my comment and photo won't show up on Amazon
Are you removing the complaint?
I would complain to Amazon with the email quoted where they asked you to remove your complaint... wow.

Wow ... that's pretty discouraging. I have been considering these batteries for my camper.

Did they have any explanation for the extremely old cell?

Wow ... that's pretty discouraging. I have been considering these batteries for my camper.

Did they have any explanation for the extremely old cell?
All they said was
Hello, are you complaining about me selling second-hand products?Can you withdraw the complaint?This is brand new, not used
next email
Hello, this is inventory, not used, can you cancel the complaint?I can give you a refund

All they said was
Hello, are you complaining about me selling second-hand products?Can you withdraw the complaint?This is brand new, not used
next email
Hello, this is inventory, not used, can you cancel the complaint?I can give you a refund

Well, glad you got a refund anyway.

Very interested if anyone else has been able to inspect the cells in these batteries closely.

Ladies & Gentlemen

Please let's try to Remain On Topic and not dilute the thread.

ShunBin sells not only completed packs but also various types of Cells, as well as Super Capacitors, so this is all valuable information, as it is inter-related. This Thread is related to the Packs primarily but I suggested to GoneInsaneNZ to post his experience here, as it was posted in a separate thread but related to ShinBin.

The main point of this thread is to share what we (Who have spent Thousands of hard earned & hard saved dollars) on these completed packs to show everyone what we got for the money.
Did we get ripped off ?
Did we get a good deal ?
OR did we get shafted up the Wazoo !!
OR, something in the middle ?

Such Knowledge & Sharing of it is to HELP EVERYONE to make their own decisions and choices before dropping a pile of cash down. So, Please, let's try to maintain focus on the objective here.

Thanks in Advance for everyone's cooperation.
Steve (The OP).

Don't know if this translation is helpful, but here you go:

Screenshot_20191124-090936_Translate.jpg

Also, I think it's very disingenuous to condition the refund on removing the review.

Don't know if this translation is helpful, but here you go:

View attachment 2435

Also, I think it's very disingenuous to condition the refund on removing the review.
Disturbing !
Thanks for this info. This thread now appears in Google & DDG Search results, possibly others I don't know. Photo's, Facts and Credible info is always important for future customer's.

EDIT: Just noticed, there is now over 2,000 views on this thread, so it is obviously being seen and / or watched. I wonder if ShunBin noticed, even after I mentioned it to them. Do they have the "Brass" to chime in and address their doings or will they get defensive & attack or will they just ignore it...

My opinion on the pack I purchased is still "reserved" as I have not gotten deep into it to see what the "Nuts & Bolts" are that make up the pack. Sidelined due to weather priorities & winter prep. I hope to get "into it" next week and provide photo's of what I discover.

Last edited:
Back