diy solar

diy solar

Simple AC schematic 110/220. I am not an electrician....have I done this wrong?

bbqjoe

As I said, I'm not an electrician, nor do I even pretend to be, but I do have my Macgyver's license, and have been off grid for over 30 years.
This is my first experience running two inverters to obtain 220V, mostly to run my well pump, and maybe some machinery in building #2 someday.
Building #1 is a small home that doesn't draw a whole lot of energy, maybe 6amps at most if both the small chest freezer, and 100lb ice machine are running at the same time. Most of the lighting is LED and relatively minimal for a 700 sq ft space.

Building #2 is a workshop with LED lighting and a number of machines, of which only 1 ever runs at a time. So with two 6500W inverters, I only ever show using between 6-10% load, maybe a bit more when the well pump is running.

Did you ever do something believing you knew what you were doing, then later thought, wait, did I even do this right?
WEll, that's me right now.
Please review for me. Thank you!
(Sorry for the crap schematic, with these stupid arthritic fingers I'm lucky to even be able to hold a pen.)

IMG_7246.JPG

The wiring looks right. As long as the two inverters are designed for this use.

Wiring is correct. Good Job.

Do you have a DVM (digital voltmeter)?

As Tim mentioned there may be some settings on both inverters and a communication cable between the inverters that you also need to do.

Check that the voltages line up with what you'd expect.

N to L1 = 120v
N to L2 = 120v
L1 to L2 = 240v

The wiring looks right. As long as the two inverters are designed for this use.
Yes they are designed for this.
The only thing that got me to thinking, was that inverter #1 would have more power being drawn on its one leg than inverter#2 would have.
Wiring is correct. Good Job.

Do you have a DVM (digital voltmeter)?

As Tim mentioned there may be some settings on both inverters and a communication cable between the inverters that you also need to do.

Check that the voltages line up with what you'd expect.

N to L1 = 120v
N to L2 = 120v
L1 to L2 = 240v
All this is correct. If I had drawn in the communications cables, grounds, bms wires, it might have looked like a bowl of spaghetti and been confusing.

The only thing that got me to thinking, was that inverter #1 would have more power being drawn on its one leg than inverter#2 would have.
Should not be a problem. They operate independently and together.
As long as the balance isn't drastic, it is fine.

Back