diy solar

diy solar

Small scale project

Just to throw my $0.02 in as someone with a camp in the mountains...

Solar or propane? Yes.

Due to the sub freezing temps up there you're going to be stuck with lead acid batteries of some flavor without having to design systems large enough just to maintain and feed batteries. Since lead acid is only about 50% usable capacity wise, you're going to need twice as many physical batteries for the same usable capacity.

My suggestion is this:

Get a MPP 1012-LV and 2-4 of the WallyWorld DC29 marine batteries and 800w of panels per yurt/cabin. Wire up all the lights, USB port sockets, exhaust fans, and some cig lighter sockets inside, use 12v LED's. Set up a single circuit of outlets with big red stickers saying " NO Electric Cookers!!" Plumb in a propane cooktop/stove (remember to change the orifice!!) and a couple propane heaters to a large stand alone tank. That provides enough power for portable devices, some 120v for the oddball things that require a wall outlet, but still the ability to heat and cook. You can keep the costs and simplicity down which will really add up after a few installs. Have a shack with pre-programmed AIO's as spares and you can always have a couple spare batteries if Walmart is too far away.

That solves all your needs, keeps things simple, handles the cold weather, and doesn't break the bank.

But that's just me. 😁

Actually I was thinking LiFeYPO4 batteries.

They have a better low temp charging profile. A bit at least

If you use LFP batteries, you'll have to have people turn the batteries on and off every time they come and go because you're going to have multiple months of below freezing temps that would destroy and/or completely drain them just from the standby pretty quickly. Basically you can't charge the battery until the yurt is fully warmed up.

Lithium and sub-freezing temps are a bad combo.

Back