diy solar

diy solar

Smallish Solar for RV 60AH/day usage with 2 DC220-6 Fullriver 6 Volt 220 AH AGMs

Spleeft

Hello all,
Total newb here, Ive read Will’s book, and been immersed for last few days watching videos / reading forum posts. We upgraded our 2019 30’ Stryker Toy Hauler when we bought it a year ago and tested out the upgrades all last summer. Upgrades are as follows:
- 2 -DC220-6 Fullriver 6 Volt 220 AH AGM Battery wired in series in a RV Lock Box on the tongue
- Victron BMV 712 wired in the batter box
- EMS-HW30C EMS-HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display
- PD 4655L Wildkat PD 4655L MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly to replace WFCO 8955 or Parallax 7155
All work great and I can’t believe I was able to install / make cables / etc. I had help from the electricians at my work with some tools and supplies and I still have access .
The RV also has 4k Onan built in generator.
We Boondock about half the time we go camping , mostly state parks / etc and usually 3-7 days. Using the Victron BMV and hand calculating ( without really trying to conserve ) we use about 35 -50 amp hours a day taking the batteries to about 55 or 60 % after 2.5 days or so. It takes the 4k Generator ~6-8 hours to get the batteries back up to 95-97 % and Ive only seen it back to 100% maybe once. The Gen is great for when we have to run AC or Microwave but I hate running the gen just to charge batteries ! Adding solar is a hard sell for the wife since we spent extra for the 4K Onan so I want to keep the cost low even though I love to go big for future. Maybe keep it less than $ 1k .
Here come the questions !
1. I want to add a 31” smart TV ( estimate 32 watts ) in the Bedroom and have the option to power it with an Inverter ( 32 watts / 12 volts = 2.7amps for at most 3 hours for a movie on occasion so Ill add that to my above usage and call it 60AH / day with is a high estimate probably. Maybe plug a low wattage fan or my 85watt Macbook pro on occasion ) Is this correct for my daily usage???
2. I have plenty of room on my roof for two, four , ( or even 6 ) of the 40” x 27” Richsolar 100 Watt Polycrystalline 100W 12V Solar Panels Will suggests ( but am open to other types/ etc). I plan on putting any solar / inverter components in the storage area under the bed . This would allow me to have an Inverter that I can just plug the TV into instead of wiring outlet (s). Based on this info , What Panels / MPPT / Inverter set up do you suggest for my smallish needs?
3. Side question, If I plug into shore power or start the Generator, do I need to manually switch off the solar charger and/or Inverter?
4. Thanks for any help !

Attachments

• solarplanning1rvlayout.png
    solarplanning1rvlayout.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 7
(Dod/100) x (ah/c - imp) + 3ab

Lets punch in 400w of solar flat mounted in january (~17A) and 60AH discharge.

.275 x 220 / (17 - 2.5) +3hrs absorbtion= 7.1hrs

Id say 6hrs absolute most optimistic recharge time with 400w as youre barely over 25% DOD so absorption might be more lile 2hrs.

Since you have a generator Id say thats a reasonable minimum amount of solar.

Thnx for the reply ,
Can you give me a little more detail on that formula? ( or point to a reference link) I don’t quite recognize .

Back