diy solar

diy solar

Solar generators left in garage during winter?

prduke

I have a question on storing solar generators in garages, since that is where the fuse panel and transfer switch is. My question is regarding during the winter months. I see many YouTube videos of people who have Delta Pros, Hysolis Apollos, etc...the big and heavy ones. They seem to leave them permanently on racks and such in their garages. It looks like locations that get COLD since I have seen snow nn some of their videos. How safe is it to store these in freezing garages? No fear of batteries bursting or anything? I don't think I want to wheel the Apollo or Delta Pro Ultra in and out of our house and into the garage for use. I also live where it gets below freezing. Just trying to understand how people operate them in freezing environments (clean and dry).
Thanks.

I have a question on storing solar generators in garages, since that is where the fuse panel and transfer switch is. My question is regarding during the winter months. I see many YouTube videos of people who have Delta Pros, Hysolis Apollos, etc...the big and heavy ones. They seem to leave them permanently on racks and such in their garages. It looks like locations that get COLD since I have seen snow nn some of their videos. How safe is it to store these in freezing garages? No fear of batteries bursting or anything? I don't think I want to wheel the Apollo or Delta Pro Ultra in and out of our house and into the garage for use. I also live where it gets below freezing. Just trying to understand how people operate them in freezing environments (clean and dry).
Thanks.

So you mean SOLAR generators?

I leave my gas generator in an uninsulated shipping container, and it's seen temps down to 1°F, and I'm not concerned at all.

If you're talking about LFP... First, they don't freeze. The chemical reactions become so sluggish, harmful things happen when charged or discharged at too low of a temperature.

Most can charge down to 0-5°C
Most can discharge down to -20°C
Most can be stored down to -30°C

Check with manufacturer's specifications for storage.

Problem with a non climate controlled space is you can have a lot of condensation on metallic things going from freezing to back above. Unprotected electronics might be damaged. My shop is open and after this last deep freeze just about everything in it is dripping water now. I regret leaving my flux welder out. Last time I did that the wire rusted on the spool and it may now do it again.

AC/DC Power packs. Nothing more. The energy they supply is from batteries. You can charge that pack multiple ways with most of them.

Back