diy solar

diy solar

Solis hybrid inverter Tepeo/Mixergy integration

stevies

Hi there,

BLUF: I would like the ability to toggle my battery automatically in to charging mode when my Tepeo or Mixergy turn on.

My setup is as follows: Tepeo central heating electric storage boiler (40KWh), Mixergy domestic hot water cylinder (~12KWh), Pylontech battery stack (20KWh useable), Solis hybrid inverter and 7KWp solar system. My setup gives me about 24hrs of total energy independence (soon more once better insulated) and I run on Octopus Agile, meaning I can pick and choose the cheapest 30min slots each day to charge.

The problem at present is that I have to manually set the Tepeo and battery charge times to overlap (to avoid the battery dumping charge into the Tepeo) based on each day’s charge slots and I currently just take the hit with the Mixergy drawing from the battery in auto mode. Both the Tepeo and Mixergy have algorithms to learn patterns of behaviour/heat loss/external conditions and read the agile tariff data to charge automatically at the cheapest times - I just want to piggyback off this and have my battery switch to charge mode whenever they draw power and back to auto when then don’t.

I’m not an electrician so please shoot me down, but could you put a CT clamp on the wires supplying the Tepeo and Mixergy, and use that data to trigger the inverter with some custom software? Or is there any other better way?

Appreciate any assistance.

Steve

All Solis hybrid inverters can be controlled using Modbus, if you go to the Solis support site you can get the Modbus map ( or request from service )

There are some Home Assistant plugins for controlling Solis inverters, but you need to hook it up to the Datalogger/Modbus RS485 port.

You should be able to make it get the info needed from your other systems and the Agile pricing to automatically set charge times for your batteries. Some programming would be involved.

I don't use HA myself, I use my own custom software. It's more fun :)
The Agile pricing has been very good recently. My bill has come to about £3.50 for 270kWh over the last 10 days, including the standing charge. It seems to be heading back to the usual prices now.

Thanks guys, I suppose if I could get hold of the algorithm Tepeo use to decide when it charges it should be possible to replicate it in home assistant? At least someone who knows how to write code could hopefully!

Yes I’m looking forward to seeing the breakdown for last month on agile… I enjoy turning the ovens on max for no other reason than helping to limit curtailment of wind turbines and being payed in the process!

Back