diy solar

diy solar

Transfer switch powered by Victron Multiplus II

Simpleone71

I have a Reliance A306 30-amp, 6 circuit transfer switch. Specs are 60A max combined loads, AWG 10 minimum cord gauge, 2 20-amp breakers and 4 15-amp breakers all 120v.

I want to power the transfer switch from a Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70. The 6 circuits I will be running are five rooms (receptacles / LED lights / ceiling fans), one will be for a fridge w/defrost and microwave. The receptacles will be mostly low wattage items but will include a 7-cu chest freezer and LED TV but one receptacle will be my server rack which will pull around 800 watts / 7 amps.

On the Multiplus, I will not be using power assist and ultimately want the AC in disabled other than to charge my battery pack on bad solar days, so I should not be using AC pass through either. I do want to run these 6 circuits year around from the battery pack with solar being the primary method to recharge the battery pack.

I want to use a 30-amp RV 4 prong to L14-30R extension cord where I cut off the male end to wire directly to the AC Out 1.

My concerns are:

1) My Victron unit will only uses L1 as a hot since it is only 120v and the transfer switch has a 4-wire plug with the need for a L2. Three circuits on the transfer switch run from L1 and three circuits run from L2. I have no 240v items being powered, so I wonder if I can use a pigtail to jumper the back of the L14-30R L1 and L2?

2) As the 30-amp extension cord uses 10-gauge wire, is it too small for my use? The length of the run would be around 2 to 3 feet from the Victron to the transfer switch. I can't imagine ever getting close to the 30-amps but might occasionally use a vacuum cleaner which I know draws a good bit.

3) I've performed a good bit of research on my question, and read where the neutral wire will be undersized due to carrying twice the current, but this transfer switch was made with only one 240v circuit allowed and I converted it to two 120v circuits, would this be an issue of concern also?

1) Yes, but depends on the wire lug/clamp on the plug being large enough for 2 wires. The Clamp on the L14-30R may not be rated for 2 wires but not sure that is really a big problem.

2) 10 Ga is rated for 30A so as long as the circuit is protected by a 30A breaker, you should be good.

3) No, because the Neutral can never "see" more current than was delivered by the single Hot wire in the extension cord. The Neutral overload problem comes in when using a common Neutral wire on a 240V panel. As long as a 2 pole breaker is used then the 2 hots are on separate legs so the Neutral only carries any off balance load. HOWEVER, if a Tandom breaker is installed in a single breaker slot now you have 2 Hots on one leg but only one Neutral if for example you used 12/3 Romex.

Thanks!

1) I do not believe it will hold two wires as it just has a hole for the wire to enter into, but I can use a Wago 221-613 for 10 AWG wire 3 conductor, 600v, 30A UL listed device to split it with a pigtail.

2) I will be using a 32A single pole 120v/240v DIN mount circuit breaker (CHTAIXI) on the hot wire going to the transfer switch.

3) Ok, that makes sense and thanks for breaking it down for me.

Back