diy solar

diy solar

Tristar Vs Schneider MPPT

Urge38

Hi there people.

I have a Schneider WX+ connected to four 5kw rack batteries, at the moment, I am charging via a Honda gen, as I am not grid tied.

my system is new, and being off grid is new to me too.

I am currently looking to add some solar panels, which leads me to what MPPT to use.

Buying Schneider equipment in the UK is extremely difficult but having the XW+ and an insight home (gateway) it might make more sense for me to go the schneider route.

what would you folks do in my position ????

There are both 150V and 600V options from both manufactures, performance wise they are similar for the mppt versions, both tier one.

The differences from the Schneider and Morningstar beyond communications is Morningstar is a periodic sweep for tracking and Schneider is Dynamic tracking which is what my patents are for when they were Xantrex. I worked for both companies, both are solid products.

There are both 150V and 600V options from both manufactures, performance wise they are similar for the mppt versions, both tier one.

The differences from the Schneider and Morningstar beyond communications is Morningstar is a periodic sweep for tracking and Schneider is Dynamic tracking which is what my patents are for when they were Xantrex. I worked for both companies, both are solid products.

I've done a little more reading, there is a discussion on this forum and a few people are reporting some losses with the Schneider MPPT

Losses? First I've heard of this, got ang links?

I have just tried to find the link, but I can't re find it !!!!! sorry
It definitely was on this group 100%.

chap was saying he was not getting the full panel wattage, other chap replied saying it shouldn't happen and he was going to check his set up, came back and had to agree,
charts were posted of their solar inputs etc

ONLY I CAN'T FING IT AGAIN!!!!!

Being UK biased, I decided to go with the Tristar

The most objective answer I could give here is that the Schneider MPPTs are not going to offer you any more features or functionality than most of the other top-tier non-Chinese charge controllers out there - especially if you don't need Enhanced Grid Support. Schneider MPPTs are the most expensive, and not the most efficient, but for this you get reliability and infinite configurability. Intercommunication between the MPPT and XW are not at all functionally necessary, but you should consider the added value, of historical logging and real-time monitoring within Insight, that a XANBUS MPPT will provide.

Since you've got Insight already, adjusting parameters of the MPPT is done through your familiar existing web interface and app ecosystem once it's added to XANBUS. Without a XANBUS MPPT, power flow from the solar will appear to Insight as though it's coming from the batteries, and your battery data becomes functionally unusable. For me, performance and historical data is important enough that I would not consider any other MPPT.

I wish Schneider would make a XANBUS shunt peripheral that would allow non-Schneider DC bus devices to be monitorable and controllable within the Insight ecosystem; your scenario is exactly what I envisioned when I thought of it.... https://diysolarforum.com/threads/dear-schneider-please-make-a.69373/

Back