diy solar

diy solar

Troubleshooting Growatt SPF 3000 24v AC Output

I just installed my electric power center for our RV conversion, and everything has gone great, except for one weird thing. The Growatt does not output 120v AC when running on just batteries and solar. It works fine when plugged into shore power. Everything else works. Batteries charge and output power, solar panels charge batteries, AC output works when AC shore power is applied (and likely from the generator as well).

There’s a reset button, which I assume is an AC breaker on the bottom of the unit. I’ve tried pressing it, nothing changes. The button on this breaker also feels very floppy. Is it supposed to be like that? That button being bad is one long shot possibility. The other, which I think is even more remote, is that my AC input goes through an automatic switch that flips between shore power and the generator. The switch only has connections for line and neutral. The ground wire (green) bypasses the switch and is wired to the ground bar on my panel. I did not run a green wire from the panel to the AC Input on the Growatt because the ground on the ac output is common with the ground on the ac input. it seems unnecessary. If I am wrong about this, tell me. Again, the ac output works when I have 120v ac input, I’m just not getting output from the inverter.

Is there anything else I should check?

So you are saying that AC bypass works but when you lose AC in the inverter does not automatically switch to providing AC out?
What is the status of your battery indication and PV indication on the front panel? How much voltage?
What mode do you have selected in the Settings?

Your AIO inverter does not need AC in to operate. Therefore the status of the ground wire is not meaningful. It does need the power switch on and sufficient battery voltage. It does not even need PV input. Can you post a picture of the wiring into your unit and the led panel?

Correct. The ac bypass works, the inverter does not. Battery bank is at or near 100%, over 400 amps available but currently fused at 80 amps while I test things out. I have Utility in the settings normally, but I changed to SBU when I realized there was an issue.

I have my pup out on the trails right now, I can post pics when I get back.

That does not sound good.

BTW, I do not know for sure but I believe if the AC reset breaker is tripped or broken you would not be able to get AC out at all even in AC bypass.

Last edited:
Correct. The ac bypass works, the inverter does not. Battery bank is at or near 100%, over 400 amps available but currently fused at 80 amps while I test things out. I have Utility in the settings normally, but I changed to SBU when I realized there was an issue.

I have my pup out on the trails right now, I can post pics when I get back.

I had a friend who bought a new Growatt 3k for his schooly bus conversion, he said it wouldn't power on the inverter section from day one. All the obvious causes were checked. I kept telling him to call Growatt, which he finally did, and they had him pull the main cover and discovered one of the boards had a cable that had come undone, they plugged it in and it started working as expected after that. May not hurt to open a support ticket with Growatt. Could even just pull the cover and do a visual inspection. Something may have come ajar during shipment.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
I appreciate the input from everyone. In the process of gathering data, I found that I had setting 04 set to enable. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but I have almost no load on 120v right now, and the reciprocating saw I plugged in to test with probably wasn't on long enough to detect, so energy saving was still active.

I changed 04 from SEN to SDS and I now have power at my ac outlets with utility power shut off. I’m sorry if I wasted anyone’s time and I hope my solution will help someone else in the future. —Tim

Back