diy solar

diy solar

Trying to find eg4 or equivalent in canada

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I live in Eastern Canada and I want to upgrade the solar system at my off grid cabin. I would like to find eg4 (48v 100ah) or equivalent in Canada. I looked at chinese suppliers on dh gate but nothing seemed legit. Does anyone know if Lanni batteries are reputable?

A couple of options from Canadian Distributors (but both appear to be pre-order only at the moment :/ ):

Options in Canada are limited at the moment compared to other markets, and a lot more expensive. If you find a good deal, post it to this thread if you don't mind:

Good luck and welcome!

I bought my first 100Ah 48V from Sig Solar and paid the feight and duty (ouch). got me started. Is a good battery.
I bought my second 100Ah 48V from Solar Parts Store (got in on the first batch luckily). also a good battery and got me to 200Ahr.
My third battery I built on my own from 280Ahr cells ordered on Alibaba. {pay & pray!} I spent a lot of time finding a supplier and asking for the spec sheets and making sure they were not a reseller of used or old stock getting the total cost shipped to compare with other suppliers etc. these came in three months after order, and all tested perfect (sigh of relief) but I paid more than maybe I should. My Fourth battery is yet to be built, tried another supplier, 280Ahr a bit lower cost but hope to be good cells, due to arrive October 2022.
For me, it is the shipping costs, if you order a heavy item like a server rack battery it costs a ton to ship it here. But if I order Cells, these can be sent at lower cost since they divide them up 2 cells or 4 cells to a box, more boxes but it gets shipped at a lower cost anyway, no truck freight, the courier brings the boxes to your door. Part of the decision to go with 280Ahr cells was the shipping was not a lot more than for 100Ahr cells, but 2.8 x the energy capacity. Building a battery is not for everyone, but my current order is in the $1000 CAD per 100Ahr range for the cell/parts/shipped plus a home made box.

I bought my first 100Ah 48V from Sig Solar and paid the feight and duty (ouch). got me started. Is a good battery.
I bought my second 100Ah 48V from Solar Parts Store (got in on the first batch luckily). also a good battery and got me to 200Ahr.
My third battery I built on my own from 280Ahr cells ordered on Alibaba. {pay & pray!} I spent a lot of time finding a supplier and asking for the spec sheets and making sure they were not a reseller of used or old stock getting the total cost shipped to compare with other suppliers etc. these came in three months after order, and all tested perfect (sigh of relief) but I paid more than maybe I should. My Fourth battery is yet to be built, tried another supplier, 280Ahr a bit lower cost but hope to be good cells, due to arrive October 2022.
For me, it is the shipping costs, if you order a heavy item like a server rack battery it costs a ton to ship it here. But if I order Cells, these can be sent at lower cost since they divide them up 2 cells or 4 cells to a box, more boxes but it gets shipped at a lower cost anyway, no truck freight, the courier brings the boxes to your door. Part of the decision to go with 280Ahr cells was the shipping was not a lot more than for 100Ahr cells, but 2.8 x the energy capacity. Building a battery is not for everyone, but my current order is in the $1000 CAD per 100Ahr range for the cell/parts/shipped plus a home made box.

How did your build go? Any luck with shipping to CAD from that AliBaba seller?

How did your build go? Any luck with shipping to CAD from that AliBaba seller?
It took a long time from the order to the delivery, but the cells arrived in perfect condition - not digs or damage, and the cells were shipped properly charged to about 40-50% SOC. Since the cells arrived last, I didn't have to wait for any other parts once the cells came in just assembled everything and put it all together.
My second order is late, I got first box today via UPS but only the first three cells in it, I bet the other boxes show up tomorrow LOL. These cost me shipped to my door 2599 all in for the cells. I bought the BMS, 2-P 125A DC rated breaker and through- box batter terminals separately. The BMS is the most expensive part after the cells. I build the cases from Baltic Birch (I own a milling shop) using 16mm for top bottom front and back panels and 19mm for the sides (thicker sides to have more material for the screws to bite) - yes I could assemble the whole case without any screws, but it is handy to be able to dissasemble the case to make changes, access the cells, maybe change out a bad cell someday or switch the BMS out for another one perhaps.

It took a long time from the order to the delivery, but the cells arrived in perfect condition - not digs or damage, and the cells were shipped properly charged to about 40-50% SOC. Since the cells arrived last, I didn't have to wait for any other parts once the cells came in just assembled everything and put it all together.
My second order is late, I got first box today via UPS but only the first three cells in it, I bet the other boxes show up tomorrow LOL. These cost me shipped to my door 2599 all in for the cells. I bought the BMS, 2-P 125A DC rated breaker and through- box batter terminals separately. The BMS is the most expensive part after the cells. I build the cases from Baltic Birch (I own a milling shop) using 16mm for top bottom front and back panels and 19mm for the sides (thicker sides to have more material for the screws to bite) - yes I could assemble the whole case without any screws, but it is handy to be able to dissasemble the case to make changes, access the cells, maybe change out a bad cell someday or switch the BMS out for another one perhaps.

Is this something you're planning to sell? Or something that you're just doing as a hobbyist building nice cases for your own use?

LOL - never thought about selling the cases, the shipping would cost more than the materials, and really there is nothing to these that you can't do yourself - or have a local shop cut the parts for you and then you can do the layout, drill/countersink for the screws and put the boxes together. I suspect if you showed up with a cutting list, even Home Depot would cut the material for you; maybe a local highschool/community college with a woodshop and after hours program. My experience with the weight of the cells (I have them set into a server rack style cabinet also built in the shop) is the floor of the box needs to be substantial or it will sag under the weight. The best plywood for this (in my opinion) is 19mm (3/4") Baltic Birch which is made of very thin plys of birch veneer in every layer (not just the exterior) and is very stable long term. The rest of the box could be a less expensive plywood, however it looks best (to me) that the entire case is the same.
I made the cases the same width as a typical serever rack case (17-3/8" plus the mounting flanges = 19"), and to accommodate the plywood thickness and cell height I didn't follow the typical "U" heights (multiples of 1-3/4") and my cases are 250mm 10" tall, I just spaced the racking to suit. (Server racks would normally be 4U, 5U etc, so you could go 6U ie 6x1.75 = 10.5" but I saw no benefit to the un-needed extra 1/2" which would add up x several cases in the rack.
The depth of the cases to fit the 280Ah cells plus space at the front for the BMS, 2-P 125A DC breaker, and through case battery terminals ends up about 700mm, 27-1/2" and this works well with Baltic Birch since the sheet sizes are metric 1.5m square. If anyone is interested I can post the cutting list for the parts, then all you need to do is source the material locally and find a shop/school/co-worker/neighbour that can cut the pieces for you. The rest you can do with carefull layout a drill, counter sink bit and screws.
O.G.F.G.

Last edited:
My second order is late, I got first box today via UPS but only the first three cells in it, I bet the other boxes show up tomorrow LOL.
And naturally since they put three cells per box...Got one Box of 3 cells, two days later, yup four more boxes of 3 cells each...15 Cells, and no bus bars nuts washers...boxes are marked 1/6 to 6/6 but you guessed it, so far no "3/6 box" has turned up. Sheash. Testing my patience.

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I live in Eastern Canada and I want to upgrade the solar system at my off grid cabin. I would like to find eg4 (48v 100ah) or equivalent in Canada. I looked at chinese suppliers on dh gate but nothing seemed legit. Does anyone know if Lanni batteries are reputable?
I got a quote from EG4, They ship to Canada. You have to request a shipping quote first. I am still not decided whether to buy it or not, since there are still a lot of problems with their inverters.

what is the duty rate on a server rack battery? I did a quick search and came up with 7%. electronics Typically have no duty.

I got a quote from EG4, They ship to Canada. You have to request a shipping quote first. I am still not decided whether to buy it or not, since there are still a lot of problems with their inverters.
Someone else pointed out you could have an order shipped to a border-store near your Province and pick up the order yourself, then do the customs at the border crossing in person. I have not done this, but would be sure to have bill of sale to show the dollar-value to customs.

Hi,
I know this is an old post, but what did you end up doing? Were you able to get an EG4 battery?

I know this is an old post, but what did you end up doing? Were you able to get an EG4 battery?
I will chime in,
I got my first 100Ah server rack from Sig Solar, it is a good battery, but cost me quite a bit more than the second 100Ah server which I got on a pre-order from Solar Parts Store (Orangeville/Barrie Ontario). Things have changed quite rapidly since then (2021) and today you can order from a number Canadian Suppliers to avoid any brokerage costs etc.
If I was starting today and wanted some factory built server rack batteries I would consider the SOK's or the RUiXU from the Toronto warehouse. Do some research as this is a rapidly changing industry, the full delivered cost is what you want to compare, not just the cost to buy the battery.

Back