diy solar

diy solar

V2G or Vehicle 2 grid

Kkbarrier

Early Teslas and current Nissan Leafs have the vehicle to grid capability. The vehicle can send power to the house or grid.
I've got a 2016 Zero DS motorcycle with a 13.5Kw , 102v battery. It's an incredible machine and basically a powerwall inside a motorcycle. I'd love to use it as a V2G "powerwall". Thoughts?

This sounds like a great idea. The battery packs in EVs are large and it would be great to be able to use that to power your home during a power outage. However in the US at the moment doesn't seem to have much in the way of V2G chargers available. You may be able to get one from UK. But maybe Will could design something.

V2G is the solution for the duck curve.

I have a $9000 motorcycle with a 13kWh battery, 1.3 kW charger(ac/dc) built-in, and a direct connection to the battery through the Anderson connector, (A Zero DSR).

Why can't I have a simple Anderson connector, (The brain DC/AC converter box) and a NEMA 14-50 to plug into the house?

I also have a Chevy Bolt EV, it has a 60 kWh battery with a DCFC port. here is the same scenario. DCFC port (a direct connection to 60 kWh of battery), (The brain DC/AC converter box) and a NEMA 14-50 to plug into the house?

I have zero need to ride the 13 kWh motorcycle around in the cold winter, so plug it into my house and peak shave!

I also have 6.2 kWp of solar, capped at 5 kW by the solar edge, I get about 25.7 kW a day of solar power (my lifetime average). A full 2/3 vanishes into the grid never to be seen again.

I just realized why V2G is not actually done just yet.

The net meter.

Believe it or not, the guys at the power company are for the most part, not electrical engineers. They are low wage call center employees that do billing, and that's about 99% of their job.

For those of us that have solar and have a net meter, this is a no brainer to do V2G. But convincing people without grid-tied solar is a little bit more of the challenge.

It is clearly technically possible. All the rest is a financial decision being wrapped up by red tape.

If someone is not a Gridling then V2G is useless obviously, so V2H would be the correct application. Vehicle to Home can be bidirectional if properly setup and this is a huge bonus for folks in areas where grid stability can be an issue. I do believe there are some after market goodies for zero bikes, I recall reading something on it, on a French site a month or two ago... sorry I do not remember which.

Back