diy solar

diy solar

victron installer for residential grid-tied in England

bladerunnerpv

Hi folks, bit of a long shot posting here, but hey nothing ventured and all a that:).

Could anyone assist please in pointing me towards a victron installer covering Hertfordshire please. I like the look of victron kit, e.g. Multiplus 10kW, but am having real problems finding any company to quote for a PV system using them. Several who did advertise indicate they have either stopped using them or refuse to quote claiming it's too expensive. Nearby companies all seem focused on solis + tesla or pylontech.

I've looked at the victron community installer link and there's nothing I can find from that which does residential.
I did a forum search here for victron installer uk, with no clear hits, apologies if I missed it.

Thanks for taking a look.

I'd also suggest you contact a Victron dealers to see what / who they recommend. But puzzled why you want Victron when you say (in your profile) that payback is an issue? You may have to DIY it, or at least subcontract out different parts of the install to get a Victron install within your budget.

I'd also suggest you contact a Victron dealers to see what / who they recommend. But puzzled why you want Victron when you say (in your profile) that payback is an issue? You may have to DIY it, or at least subcontract out different parts of the install to get a Victron install within your budget.
Hi Seagal, good suggestion on contacting victron kit sellers, doing a bit more legwork on finding a lead.

Wrt payback I'm seeing quotes of £20k(and +) for a 8.7kw east west system, 10 to 13.5kWh battery, with around 11 yrs for RoI using current elec prices and best export price I can find.

So what could I cut price of? Panels have dropped a lot over past year, nearly 50%, inverters seem similar prive, batteries down a bit.
So requesting so.e re-quote seems sensible, on 20x panels that's about £2k saving vs a year ago.

so only obvious other route is batteries. Look into fogstar perhaps or take a deep breath and go diy, which seems would marry better with victron than some other options

Wrt victron I know they aren't cheap. It's the cost vs quality balance.

I'm thinking ac coupled battery rather than hybrid dc. Could then maybe go for cheaper pv string inverters to balance costs.
Provided multiple inverters don't end up fighting one another.

I'm prepared to pay a bit more for the key part of the pv system, which in my mind is the inverter and try to future proof somewhat by going bigger in that dept. wrt throughput capability, and hopefully quality = longevity

I have the impression that victron are good quality, hence the interest there.

I have space for roof mounted 10 panels East, 9 panels west, then 6 to 9 wall mounted south, and could fit 2x 500to600W panels on a shed roof. if I were to max out the pv install.

Last edited:
Hi Seagal, good suggestion on contacting victron kit sellers, doing a bit more legwork on finding a lead.
LOL - it was @sunshine_eggo's suggestion!

Wrt payback I'm seeing quotes of £20k(and +) for a 8.7kw east west system, 10 to 13.5kWh battery, with around 11 yrs for RoI using current elec prices and best export price I can find.
Sounds a lot, but I DIY.

Wrt victron I know they aren't cheap. It's the cost vs quality balance.
Happy with my Solis

I'm thinking ac coupled battery rather than hybrid dc. Could then maybe go for cheaper pv string inverters to balance costs.
Would be more £££ to do that and less efficient

I have space for roof mounted 10 panels East, 9 panels west, then 6 to 9 wall mounted south, and could fit 2x 500to600W panels on a shed roof. if I were to max out the pv install.
Would need 3 MPPT for E, W and S facing.

Beware UK regulations around feeding back to the grid. I have not checked as my setup is completely off grid but to feedback they might require that the entire system is professionally installed and uses 100% certified products, batteries and everything included. I am not sure about this but definitely check.

they might require that the entire system is professionally installed and uses 100% certified products, batteries and everything included.
No, the Inverter has to be ENA listed as G98/G99, you can DIY the rest and have a competent Electrician sign off the installation. Switches etc all need to be to the correct standard.

The DNO (Electricity supply company that maintains the network) are really only interested in the amount you potentially could export, they have to allow you to export 3.68Kw (determined by inverter size) under G98 (inform only, no permission needed, install and you have 30 days to register) , over 3.68kw then you need G99 and permission needed before you can start install. As long as the battery is behind the inverter then its not considered as adding to the output, if its separate with an AC output then its output is added to the inverters output.

I am DIY with an electrician 2 doors away so easy peasy.

I could export 3.68kw but all excess gets diverted to first an immersion heater and if that's full then onto other loads.

If you want to export and get paid then you need more outside involvement.

Beware UK regulations around feeding back to the grid. I have not checked as my setup is completely off grid but to feedback they might require that the entire system is professionally installed and uses 100% certified products, batteries and everything included. I am not sure about this but definitely check.

I would presume a grid connected DIY battery does not meet UK requirements.

I may not have made myself clear!

In the OP I indicated that "I've looked at the victron community installer link and there's nothing I can find from that which does residential."

Using that link again (thanks for adding it sunshine_eggo), select Dealer Services "installer"
One in Nottingham - does off-grid and industrial
One in Cheltenham - does off-grid
One in Gloucester - does off-grid, industrial, and vehicles
One in Southampton - does off-grid, industrial, vehicles and marine
Nothing suggesting they do grid-tied for residential. I fact there's not even a category similar to residential available to select on the Victron 'where to buy'.

Also looked at select Dealer Services "webshop"
Nothing within a 2hr drive, except the one in Rochester. I had previously contacted several dealers/webhops, including the nearest in Rochester, but with no success.

Hence my glumness

Anyways I will work my way through them to see if there are any installers they are aware of in my area who buy from them.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

Back