diy solar

diy solar

Victron Phoenix 12/1200VA (12v, 1000W) lowest price I've seen yet

Tomthumb62

Solar Wizard
Based upon another thread, it seems that Victron has permanently slashed prices for some of their charge controllers.

I was curious as to whether the inverter I bought 6 months ago was going for less, too. It is, but appears to simply be a sale:

It's going for about $40-50 less than when I bought it 6 months ago. This is a fantastic inverter with REAL surge power. It can surge for at least 30 seconds vs. the cheapo brands can only surge for 1 second or less, which isn't long enough to power up high-surge devices. I can run an 1850W vacuum on this 1000W Victron for 30 seconds before it starts beeping and for about a minute before the inverter cuts off power due to too long of overloaded state. A minute is long enough to vacuum the tiny space I need to clean up. The ECO mode works wonderfully (you do need the optional bluetooth dongle): mine is set to stay asleep for 60 seconds, then it wakes up for 5 seconds and looks for any device asking for power. If any device is asking for less than 10W of power, the inverter will fall asleep again. This is an excellent setup for my fridge, giving me an idle draw of about 2-3W. My previous Renogy 2000W inverter had an idle draw of 24W. So my idle draw consumption is about 72Wh (at 3W) on the Victron, compared to 576Wh (at 24W) on the Renogy. In a tiny camp trailer with 400W of flat-mounted flexible panels like ours, this idle consumption was killing our solar system, now it purrs like a kitten.

Your old idle draw is interesting...my 2000w Renogy idles at 10.3 watts, measured with quality meters. Are you using the same equipment to measure your 30% improvement in solar since changing to Victron?

Your old idle draw is interesting...my 2000w Renogy idles at 10.3 watts, measured with quality meters. Are you using the same equipment to measure your 30% improvement in solar since changing to Victron?

That's good to hear you're getting such a low idle draw. I never did use an actual meter to measure the Renogy...the specs say 24W. 24W seemed to fit with how quickly the inverter was drawing down my battery bank without anything connected to it. Again, there wasn't good clear math to prove this, but it did seem to make sense, once I learned what the heck idle draw was.

The Victron 12/1200 claims a 7-9W idle draw in non-ECO mode, others have measured with tools and claim they see 10-13W. I don't use mine in any mode other than ECO, so I have only measured in ECO mode. I am not seeing the 1W that Victron claims, but then again, I am not using the default ECO mode settings either.

My cheap Reliable wzrelb 12/1500 inverter has 7w idle, and is able to run out coffee pot. I’ve never pushed inductive loads or anything above name plate but lasted us 2 summers worth of use. It’s going for 150 and I paid 160.

Back