diy solar

diy solar

Virtual Power Plant VPP compatibility

1.21 Gigawatts

Does anyone know what you would need to do to make your DIY powerwall Virtual Power Plant compatible?

Does your battery just need to be connected to an approved inverter? I assume the VPP partner is somehow able to log into approved inverters and just tell it to export from battery to grid? Meaning no smart tech is needed in the battery its self, except a simple BMS that can communicate with the approved inverter.

Or are they actually logging into the battery and telling it to export? Meaning your battery has to have some clever software.

I guess it might depend on the hardware in question. If a given 'approved inverter' would have the capability to read SoC from the battery pack (via comm connection between inverter and battery BMS).

This might be a parameter for making rules based on how the power should be used in the broad network. You may want to make rule saying only take my power if battery up to a certain SoC value, or don't take power once it's below a certain SoC value...

Might need to read up more on the hardware options and their specific features / capabilities.

I guess it might depend on the hardware in question. If a given 'approved inverter' would have the capability to read SoC from the battery pack (via comm connection between inverter and battery BMS).

This might be a parameter for making rules based on how the power should be used in the broad network. You may want to make rule saying only take my power if battery up to a certain SoC value, or don't take power once it's below a certain SoC value...
Absolutely would require a communicating BMS of that im sure.
Ive got a call with a VPP provider booked today. Im going to ask them more technical details. Though i suspect my question will be beyond the sales persons knowledge.

I'm interested to hear what they tell you. I figured I was ineligible because the only VPP using battery storage I know of is Tesla.

I'm set up with OhmConnect, they are a VPP, but work on load reduction typically. I get credited for pushing power the the grid once or twice a week during the summer. I made $900 last year and probably something similar this year.

If you can't get anywhere with the actual VPP, you might look into OhmConnect.
You'll have to set up the automation yourself, I'm talking a signal from a Kasa smart plug.

If you sign up with OhmConnect, I can give you a link, they'll give us both a little spiff.

Sure would be cool if you could join an actual VPP. Where about are you?

Where about are you?
Im in Australia.
Here is a table of VPPs courtesy of Solarquotes. VPP is still an emerging thing here

• Notice AGL (an energy provider) lists LG Chem RESU "HV" or Tesla Powerwall 2. No mention of inverter at all. Which makes me wonder if the LG chem battery has some kinda smart system in it (obviously the tesla does)
  • Future grid list inverters (Fronius, Sungrow, SMA, SolaX, Redback) or Tesla
  • Amber list Tesla, SolarEdge inverter with LG batteries or SolarEdge battery, AlphaESS, Hive, Sungrow. coming 2023 Growatt, Goodwe, Fronius and Enphase Via Evergen: Solax Redback Eveready Energizer Huawei
  • Discover energy Goodwe, Sungrow, SolarEdge, Huawei, Alpha-ESS hybrid, Q-Cells and Growatt inverters
  • Energy Australia Tesla Powerwall, AlphaESS, Redback, LG Chem with SolarEdge, or Bring Your Own Battery ?
More in table bellow.

vpps.PNG

Well, that's not what I expected!
You've got significantly more options than I've seen in the US.

• Notice AGL (an energy provider) lists LG Chem RESU "HV" or Tesla Powerwall 2. No mention of inverter at all. Which makes me wonder if the LG chem battery has some kinda smart system in it (obviously the tesla does)
Yeah, I'd agree there is something odd with that. The LG chem resu is just a battery. The inverter controls how much energy comes out of the battery and is converted to AC to sell to the grid.

Well, that's not what I expected!
You've got significantly more options than I've seen in the US.
Solar adoption is huge in Australia. At least 35% of homes have solar now. Maybe thats why. Many of those are state or region specific, not nationally avaliable.

Back