diy solar

diy solar

Want to build a 10kw system for my 2 story and screw PGE! lol

ilove2fix

hey guys ok ive built a smaller system overseas 1500w just fine and worked great..

Now i want to build one here in California and screw PGE and all the other solar guys!!

A system with batteries that is.

Can i install off grid in a city? Like have a switch that turns off PGE and use my system?

I know i can build a 10kw system for under $10k and hopefully you guys can help me out.

I have a 2 story home and use about 8500kw i believe thats thats right lol.. I have a central AC unit thats probably like 3-5 tons. Dont know how many watts that pulls but i think 10kw should be enough for the whole house? What system or what battery packs / inverters / panels would you guys recommend?

Thanks in Advance!

I have a 2 story home and use about 8500kw
You are interchanging kilowatts (rate) with what should be kWh (an amount) so its impossible to follow.

California is a big place. Some places let you disconnect from PG&E and others don't.

You need to start with an energy audit to see your daily amount of energy use. Getting your make rate at any time will help sizing delivery of AC current which is likely your max load.

You are interchanging kilowatts (rate) with what should be kWh (an amount) so its impossible to follow.

California is a big place. Some places let you disconnect from PG&E and others don't.

You need to start with an energy audit to see your daily amount of energy use. Getting your make rate at any time will help sizing delivery of AC current which is likely your max load.

On tesla's site it said i would need about a 6.8kW system but i want to oversize to around 8.5 to be on the safe side. Maybe i might get an electric car in the future.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408-164647_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408-164647_Chrome.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 10
If that’s an older hvac, it’ll suck your batteries dry before midnight with only a $10k investment. Insulation and perhaps a mini split.

You've got the cart WAY ahead of the horse, were are these numbers coming from? EV's use massive amounts of energy as in they require 2 to 3x what a typical modern energy efficient house uses.
The first step is to perform a comprehensive energy audit. An all electric house is vastly different than one with Nat Gas for space heating, water heating and cooking.

As to your basic concept, screw PGE, absolutely, but going off grid completely is very difficult. Much better to think in terms of adding something like a whole house back-up. Sol-Ark 15K with enough solar and batteries to offset utility usage by 90% but keep the grid connection as a back up. In order to accomplish this you first have to know what your daily, weekly, monthly seasonal electricity usage is then the system can be sized.

Even with a massive solar array and battery you could still need to supplement from the grid during bad weather. A smaller system may not be totally independent however YOU can choose to rates by supplementing energy during off peak rates. About third of the cost in summer plus of course the solar gain. For me, right now it’s the best because of no need of hvac so I don’t need the grid at all.

Back