diy solar

diy solar

What brand high amperage circuit breakers people use in Europe (400A 60V required)

If the inverter is allegedly pulling 325A, what's the big deal if it can pull 400A?
I don't quite get your meaning here. If it is rated at max of ~340A, the only way it can pull over that is if there is a fault in which case the BMS will cut it off at 350A. Or if that doesn't work for some reason the fuse/breaker will over 400A (if it is a fast fuse).
I don't believe this can power 14k for 5 seconds, but I guess final user test will be the truth. There are inverters that can surge double their rated capacity as long as the battery system can keep up, but they cost more (Victron, Schneider, Midnite etc).

View attachment 209852
I don't believe it either, but do we size our systems to datasheet specs, or do we guesstimate?

Here is my manual that shows 2*surge power for 5s.
Screenshot_20240417_124252_Xodo.jpg

The only thing that has me worried is that these DC breakers have a signiffcant delay as was mentioned by a previous poster which would mean if the inverter shorted and the BMS failed short at the same time(rather unlikely, but who knows) there could be 400A+ going through the inverter for few seconds before the DC circuit breaker reacts. This is not good. A fast acting fuse is much better in this regard.
Why do think that it would be a problem?
Wiring can handle it, the whole idea of gG fuse rating is that it can handle similar overload as the cable.
Your BMS is already dead and your inverter is also dead, faster fuse won't bring them back.
With really wishfull thinking your inverter could be little bit less dead with fast fuse but I wouldn't count on it. (blown mosfets instead of blown pcb)

Old wisdom in electrical engineering is that fuses are slower than the mosfets you might be foolishly attempting to protect.
Special ultra fast semiconductor fuses are in some cases enough fast to save your equipment but the ultrafast fuses cost more than your inverter!

Why do think that it would be a problem?
Wiring can handle it, the whole idea of gG fuse rating is that it can handle similar overload as the cable.
Your BMS is already dead and your inverter is also dead, faster fuse won't bring them back.
With really wishfull thinking your inverter could be little bit less dead with fast fuse but I wouldn't count on it. (blown mosfets instead of blown pcb)

Old wisdom in electrical engineering is that fuses are slower than the mosfets you might be foolishly attempting to protect.
Special ultra fast semiconductor fuses are in some cases enough fast to save your equipment but the ultrafast fuses cost more than your inverter!
No one expects to save an inverter with a fuse. But if it gets a short a difference of few seconds can mean a fire or no fire I guess.

Back