diy solar

diy solar

What is the racking system needed for a small awning on top of garage doors?

rmassuser

I have a garage structure going up now and the builder was going to add a small overhang on top of the garage door coming out a foot or so. The idea is that you can stand right underneath the opening without getting wet.

I am thinking, instead of using an asphalt shingled overhang, what if I use solar panels instead? The area gets morning sun only from 6am to noon so I would angle the panels at 70 degrees. They would not be my only panels, I would have 3 or 4 more on the garage.

It looks like this would be a combination of two 68x45 panels. So the total dimensions of the awning/overhang will be 136" x 45". At the angle I specified it would protrude 16" from the outside wall, which is perfect.

I would hope to have some support from the bottom, not just with the clips... because if the clips ever came loose there are people walking under them.

thanks for your help. I need to figure this out in the next 10 days before roofers come!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 12.07.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 12.07.05 PM.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 9
Local dealer has this, prop gets minimal output.

They sell bracket kits that are glorified angle stock and some hardware that you could easily replicate. I think they are more for flat mount in RVs that tip up, but you could easily mount vertical.

Attachments

• 98B85FA9-0987-4F56-9C82-CC91B54CD6E8.jpeg
    98B85FA9-0987-4F56-9C82-CC91B54CD6E8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
I can't protrude that much due to set back requirements for the building. Though it looks nice.

Double-check setback requirements for unsupported roof overhangs, may be more lenient than setback to foundation.

Also permit requirements for unsupported awnings (to add after inspections are done); my area doesn't require any.

Local dealer has this, prop gets minimal output.

They sell bracket kits that are glorified angle stock and some hardware that you could easily replicate. I think they are more for flat mount in RVs that tip up, but you could easily mount vertical.

Hinged, with a replaceable or adjustable strut, you could do a seasonal tilt, also return to compliance if they protrude more than allowed.

Problem with wall mount could be when sun is high the eaves will shade them. Steep angle means when pointed at sun won't be when that shade occurs. I'd think about hanging from edge of eaves rather than from wall, won't ever get shadowed. Does your roof not already overhang the garage door?

I can't protrude that much due to set back requirements for the building. Though it looks nice.
What is the difference between a panel sticking out 16" and a pergola sticking out 16"? You can build a pergola any size you want.

What is the difference between a panel sticking out 16" and a pergola sticking out 16"? You can build a pergola any size you want.
Those pictures looked more like 24-36” but I get what your saying any design can be modified.

Those pictures looked more like 24-36” but I get what your saying any design can be modified.
Hence the reason I suggested a "pergola type structure" ... my fault I guess for thinking they were looking for ideas instead of a finished product.

great feedback, thank you. Maybe a canopy type structure consisting of just 3 to 4 brackets protruding 16 " would allow panels to be mounted on a non permanent basis and then removed by the next owner for cosmetic reasons. You have given me some great ideas.

Back