diy solar

diy solar

Wire connections in Renogy panel junction box - sketchy?

AmyG

I have a couple Renogy 100W panels that I use occasionally as a portable ground array. I'm looking to switch the connections from MC4 to XT60 (won't be out in the rain, easier to move them between systems), so I opened the panel junction boxes to see if it might be better to rewire them there rather than just cutting off the MC4 connectors, and I was a bit alarmed to find that there are lots of strands not included in the crimp to the panel connections. Is this typical? Both panels look the same.

I'm thinking of removing the old wires and soldering on new. Is this a stupid idea or a good one? At least one of the panels is still under warranty but I really don't want to deal with the hassle - am mostly concerned about making sure the panels are working safely and efficiently.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated - thank you!

Photos - 1 of 4.jpegPhotos - 3 of 4.jpegPhotos - 2 of 4.jpegClose up.jpeg

I bought 16 x 100 watt new renogy panels.. they stayed safely in my house for 1 year waiting to get started building the system..When I did, I found that when hooking them up , about Half of the mc4 conectors fell apart , crumbled and/ broke in half in my hands .. the other half I didn’t trust ..Had I not discovered this when Checking them out before energizing ,I would have had so many 88 volt short circuits in the first rainstorm, who knows what could have happened..

that's 32 connections I cut off the array and recrimped a more solid and heavy duty heat shrink with glue seal 45 amp connector , from Wire Fly company … worked great…

This was my first go at solar panels and I didn’t know ….or Expect this .. I will NOT touch anything Renogy again…this is poor workmanship and QC …i didn’t even bother to call them about it… I don’t want any discussion about anything with any of them…..

I still have some of them sitting in my work shop to remind me why I went with all Victron and Battleborn on the rest part of my system… yes , the panels now work since I fixed them,
BUT
This is totaly unacceptable junk to sell to the public…disgusting …..
I’m sick of bargain bin Asian crap…… They can keep their “Ali-everything” …..

Last edited:
I bought 16 x 100 watt new renogy panels.. they stayed safely in my house for 1 year waiting to get started building the system..When I did, I found that when hooking them up , about Half of the mc4 conectors fell apart , crumbled and/ broke in half in my hands ..

Did you check the connections inside the panel junction boxes? Just curious to know if they were bad as well.

Did you check the connections inside the panel junction boxes? Just curious to know if they were bad as well.
They seem to be ok and the panels produce claimed power in good sun…the issues here seem to be them not doing the work correctly ( your case) or inspecting the parts before installing them ( my case) .
both are easily avoidable by proper training and QC by the production and assembly people.

Last edited:
Back