diy solar

diy solar

Wire size help

tysojohn

Hi I am about ready to start putting components together in my camper van build and just wanted some confirmation on wire size. I’ve attached a photo of my diagram and feel like 1 awg is a little small. Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4237.jpeg
    IMG_4237.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
2/0 from the battery to inverter, with a 200 amp fuse is a better size. On the battery side of the busbar consider 2 1/0 wires in parallel, between the busbar and battery with the 300amp fuse.

2/0 from the battery to inverter, with a 200 amp fuse is a better size. On the battery side of the busbar consider 2 1/0 wires in parallel, between the busbar and battery with the 300amp fuse.
Ok why would I run 2 1/0 wires in parallel?

Ok why would I run 2 1/0 wires in parallel?
2 wires in parallel will double the ampacity, giving us 300 amp of capacity to cover the heavy load of both the inverter and dc-dc coverter which max out at approximately 250amps, where they run together between the busbars and the battery,

2 wires in parallel will double the ampacity, giving us 300 amp of capacity to cover the heavy load of both the inverter and dc-dc coverter which max out at approximately 250amps, where they run together between the busbars and the battery,
But couldn’t I just run a single larger cable instead? Sorry I’m really confused about this all because my growatt manual says to run 1awg

But couldn’t I just run a single larger cable instead? Sorry I’m really confused about this all because my growatt manual says to run 1awg
You could but the larger size wire is harder to find and is more difficult to run, using 2 wires in parallel is an easier option. 1 AWG won't really support the load of the inverter, it will get very hot under load especially if buried in a wall or cabinet, and could start a fire. Then when you add the load of dc-dc converter to the inverter load for the run between the busbar and the battery, we are at even higher currents, and even more above the limit of 1 AWG.

1 AWG is good to 130amps
Your inverter maxes out at 175 amps
Your DC-DC converter maxes out at 70 amps
Together close to 250 amps

You could but the larger size wire is harder to find and is more difficult to run, using 2 wires in parallel is an easier option. 1 AWG won't really support the load of the inverter, it will get very hot under load especially if buried in a wall or cabinet, and could start a fire. Then when you add the load of dc-dc converter to the inverter load for the run between the busbar and the battery, we are at even higher currents, and even more above the limit of 1 AWG.

1 AWG is good to 130amps
Your inverter maxes out at 175 amps
Your DC-DC converter maxes out at 70 amps
Together close to 250 amps
Ok I think that makes sense. So are you saying to run 2 1/0 wires from the battery to the bus bar, and then a 2/0 wire from the busbar to the inverter?

Ok thank you
Ok so I did a bit of research and my dc converter puts out 70a at 12v and takes only 40a at 24v. Reading my growatt manual it pulls 141a at 24v. 40a + 141a is 181a. 181 amps at 125% is 225a. So a 4/0 wire between the battery and the busbar would be needed and i could run 2/0 between the busbar and the inverter. Took a lot of thinking and writing it out but I think this is correct

Back