diy solar

diy solar

Wiring Sungold To Sub-Panel

G-Falco

I purchased an older home with a shop situated about 130 feet away from the house. The main panel in my garage is N/G bonded. There is a 70a breaker that feeds power to the shop using (3) 2awg cables, L1 L2 N. All three cables land on the sub panel in the shop, but no ground was ran.

I would like to power the shop/sub panel with solar using the Sungold 6k 240v LF inverter, but I am so confused about the AC input to this inverter. The manual states that N is not required on the AC input. Only G, L1, L2 inputs are available. I can connect L1 and L2 to the inverter but I'm left with the neutral and I have no ground wire. I've got this rogue neutral coming from the main panel, that I don't know what to do with. However, that 2awg neutral is bonded at the main panel, so could it simply serve as the ground, instead of running another 130' of ground wire from the main bonded panel to the sub? I feel like I am missing something and I don't want to mess around and find out. :) Anyone with a solution would be appreciated.

However, that 2awg neutral is bonded at the main panel, so could it simply serve as the ground, instead of running another 130' of ground wire from the main bonded panel to the sub?
Yes, just re identify it as ground (green).

Back