diy solar

diy solar

18kpv, net metering, batteries, settings ?

Packen

I have an 18kpv, 30kwh lifepower4 batteries, and got approval from my co op to go to net metering. I’ve been running this for a couple of months now without net metering

So here are my questions.

I want to run from the grid and only use batteries when power from the grid is out. Is there a way to do that?

That way I can save my 30k of battery for outages.

Next, to go to net meter, all I need to do is click the export to grid, correct?

I know I’ll have more questions but I’ll start with those.

Next, to go to net meter, all I need to do is click the export to grid, correct?
Kinda. You want to make sure you set the amount of power that you are wanting to sell back as well. But once you have that set, you can enable export.

I want to run from the grid and only use batteries when power from the grid is out. Is there a way to do that?
I'm a little fuzzy on the details, so I will have to check once I have an opportunity, but if I remember correctly, you enable AC Charge and battery priority, and the inverter will power loads with grid, and keep the battery charged up. I may be missing something though. I think in battery priority, it may never use battery for powering loads, so let double check.

Others may know more than me, but the first question is how is the 18kpv wired up? If you are you using a backfeed breaker in your main panel the 18kpv will turn off the grid connection when power goes down so any loads in your main panel will also go off. The battery can still run any loads on the "load" connection. If you have a transfer switch or use the 18kpv as a transfer switch (supply side or feeder tap configurations), your loads can be run off of the battery when the grid is down.

Kinda. You want to make sure you set the amount of power that you are wanting to sell back as well. But once you have that set, you can enable export.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, so I will have to check once I have an opportunity, but if I remember correctly, you enable AC Charge and battery priority, and the inverter will power loads with grid, and keep the battery charged up. I may be missing something though. I think in battery priority, it may never use battery for powering loads, so let double check.
Ok, I set to export and set the export limit.
I then enabled charge first which the book says I should do to get what I want.
But, it’s still taking from my batteries and not the grid. What am I missing?
I am also wondering about the battery type settings. I have lithium set but what should I have under lithium brand? The book just say to specify between lifepower4 or eg4 LL. Neither of those are an option.
I thought these were set right but now I wonder. By batteries are also way out of sync on SOC. I am using the communication hub.
Any suggestions?

I am using Luxpower 12k, but the menus are very similar. From the main screen on the inverter, if you pressed the gear icon for settings and scroll to batteries, you can set type to lithium. The next question is what lithium to choose from? The CAN connection from your batteries (the battery set to Master if more than one battery) should be plugged into the CAN input on the inverter using the ethernet cable. When choosing a battery type, start with choice 6, which is Luxpower on a Luxpower inverter. Then, if you go back to the main menu, click on the PIE chart icon and then click on the Battery menu option which is second from the top on Luxpower, you will get a screen with the battery BMS communications. If the fields are empty, then check you cable to make certain it is properly connected and choose a different battery choice such as Pylon (tech).

If the Battery menu field is populated with values, this means the inverter and battery are correctly communicating with each other and your configuration is completed. If the fields are empty, choose another battery choice until you have tried them all. If a no go, ask your battery manufacturer if tech support closed loop with the inverter and verify the cable pin connections. If you get populated values, then all you need to do is choose your SOC values and/or voltage values for your minimum and maximum as well as any limits on charging and discharging that you want to use and it is all done at that point.

After observing the effects of those settings, decide if they need to be tweaked or you like them.

That is how mine is used. Right now I use batteries just as a backup for a critical loads panel. AC coupled PV. I have a net meter agreement. AC coupled PV. I keep my battery topped off and only sell (export) my excess real time production, when the battery and the loads are met. I do NOT have any discharge times set since net meter customers here with the power corp monopoly do not allow TOU. I pay the same rate 24/7/365, wish they did have TOU because I would force export during expensive times and recharge over nite. I could take some screen shots of my settings page if you want

Back