diy solar

diy solar

2.4kW system voltage question (HQST panels)

farmhand

Solar Enthusiast
Hello all!

I have two arrays now mounted (one fixed, one tracking). One array has 12 12v 100w HQST mono panels, the other 12 12v 100w HQST poly panels.

I am confused on CHARGE CONTROLLER PV VOLTAGE: Example; 12v panels put out 18-20volts... SO; Is a 48volt PV input made of 4 12v panels in series, producing nearly 80v? Or is a 48v system made of 2 12v panels in series, producing nearly 40v?

ALSO: Attached are the spec stickers from the back of the panels, CAN I put 12 of these panels in series, and what would the "charge/PV" voltage to the input of the charge controller need be rated for?

I have NOT yet ordered any controller or inverter, trying to save of copper. Both arrays are 30' from the controller/battery/inverter locations.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Mono Solar.png
    Mono Solar.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Poly Solar.jpg
    Poly Solar.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The system Voltage is the battery Voltage, so what is the battery Voltage feeding the charge controller, typical PV Voltage feeding the SCC has to be about 5V above or more than the battery Voltage.
What kind of charger controller do you have? What is the max PV input Voltage of the charge controller, you do not want to exceed that rating?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, all I have at this point in time is that the panels are up, have not purchased anything else. Taking it one step at a time in more of a hobby but functional project ;)

Back