diy solar

diy solar

2 Multiplus II 24dc /3000Va / 70 - 50 in parallel

Looking_fpr_Clarity

I am trying to get clarity on using two multiplus' in parallel in order to support by AC Loads. Simple wire diagram.jpg
I believe the multiple configuration will allow me to throttle down the amperage. According to my energy plan I am rounding up to 80 Amps but that doesn't really reduce my wire gauge size.
Are my thought / assumptions correct? If so, is there other option or configuration I should take into consideration?
Thank you in advance!

I have a 3000/24 in my RV and a 5000/24 in my boat. Both have 24v lifepo4 packs.

Honestly, you are not going to reduce your need for wire in this build. Your total amperage is going to be the same no matter what. Since this determines the amount of wire you need... it's no savings to be found other than you can often find good pricing on smaller wire sizes if you're hunting.

I use smaller wires when I can - multiple 2awg connectors from battery terminals to bus bar runs (under 12 inches) and then full sized runs for my pack to fuse and pack to inverter runs.

It is possible to use a set point to limit the incoming power level from shore power / generator to keep this from going over a desired limit, but I am not a victron expert so you should ask one of them if that is a viable pathway.

If you do not already have the units, the quatro 5000 might have larger wire lugs.

A couple of things I remember reading about this kind of setup…

You need to make sure the battery wires to the two inverters are the same - same size,length and quality.

I would probably bring the hot wires,common and ground wires from each inverter together just below the inverter- then run to the load centers. This way it is easy and simple to see what is happening. (You also eliminate the interconnection wires between the panels- in the drawing the ones going below the load centers).

Remember KISS -Keep it Simple and Serviceable. - someday you will need to service or modify this area again.

Sorry to ask but where on earth did you get the idea that you will have 100 amps @ 120VAC coming out of those inverters? 6,000VA @ 120VAC = 50 amps total. That is 25 amps from each unit maximum. I don't know where you are seeing "spring terminals" but they aren't on a MultiPlus II. There are screw terminals on the AC output and they will accommodate 4 AWG cable so you should have plenty of overhead in cable size.

Last edited:
wait. I just read the question again about wire size from the inverters to the AC panels. No, you won't need 2 awg. Jebus.
AC wire sizing is far smaller, you're confusing DC requirements with AC. Battery to inverter: DC, Inverter to breaker panel: AC.

Back