diy solar

diy solar

25,000w from a single battery?

Nikg736

I'm currently building some Lifepo4 batteries for dual purpose in my Sprinter van. They need to be general energy storage to power some 12v accessories and run an inverter, but also need to be able to power a few audio amps at about 3000w. I got a great deal on some Headway cells in an auction at Battery Hookup, so I am going to use those.
I have seen others on FB Marketplace advertising their "home made" versions of batteries to add to audio systems. One person has a battery of 60ah and uses C-max batteries (which I think are lithium ion, not LFP) and is claiming "can handle around 25,000 watts". To support that claim on 14.8-16.8v, one would have to pull around 1600A.
I'm just wondering what kind of wiring and bus bars would even support that? And can C-max batteries really deliver that kind of juice? Also, at 60ah of capacity (more 45-50ah real-world) running that wattage we are looking at maybe a few minutes of run time...not even enough to finish a song provided nothing melted, caught on fire or exploded.
To me this sounds not only like "false advertising" (unless the guy is using 1/2" thick copper plate as busbar), but also potentially dangerous.
Any thoughts? Am I missing something here?
Thanks

Not a real thing, 1600 amps would be basically a brick sized bus bar, just add to the zillions of false claims you will find online

That's what I figured. I'm assuming guys in videos running 40,000w systems are either not really pulling that much or they have 5-10 distinctly separate power sources as no single one could possibly have busbars and wiring capable of supporting something like that.

25kW has to be peak audio power. Continuous amp supply power for bass heavy electronic music will be 10 - 30% of that.

can C-max batteries really deliver that kind of juice?
Why not? Those tiny hybrid battery are know to work hard.
For 60Ah at 14.8V that is 0.89 kWh. 25 kW is a 28C discharge*.
You can find little battery able to discharge at 50C or even at 100C. Peak power is easy.
Example, your headway 8Ah are rated at max 30C instant discharge.

About headway cell, back in 2008 I output over 30 kW out of a tiny 2.5 kWh battery build from 38120 cells in my motorcycle. The tricks is peak power vs continuous power.
Now you can build a tiny battery with your 8Ah cells in a configuration 4S 8P that will give you near 2000A of peak amps at 30C.

*Not counting voltage sag to simplify explanation.

Back