diy solar

diy solar

50 AMP RV w/ 48V System - HELP

JasonHaws

I want to put in a 48Volt Battery Bank System in my RV. More Specifically a 48V Trophy 304AH battery so all I need is 1 battery to hook to the Inverter.

However, with a 50 amp service I don't see many options for both legs to go into an Inverter. Even the 48 volt Victron MultiPlus II only shows one hot line in.

My thought was to get an EG4 6K 120/240 split phase inverter so that I can put the two legs into it and have two legs coming out to power both sides of the RV's electrical panel. Is there a better way to do it? the EG4 6500ex seems like a lighter simpler option but I only see a spot for 1 leg in.

To power the 12 volt side of the RV I figured i'd need a DC to DC converter to step it down from 48V to 12V.

Attachments

• 48v vs. 12v.png
    48v vs. 12v.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 8
One caution- you need to design your system so it can handle the 240v - different phases 120v lines as well as when plugged into 30a and 15a outlets - 120v on both lines in the same phase.

The Victron 12v &24v MultiPlusII 2x120v are the ones that. An automatic handle both single phase and splits phase inputs. (You need the “2x 120v”)

There are several ways around the problem-

I want to put in a 48Volt Battery Bank System in my RV. More Specifically a 48V Trophy 304AH battery so all I need is 1 battery to hook to the Inverter.

However, with a 50 amp service I don't see many options for both legs to go into an Inverter. Even the 48 volt Victron MultiPlus II only shows one hot line in.
I would recommend you stick with 48vdc. Dealing with 12v 3 kVA system pushing over 250 amps of DC current is tough. You can also go for 5kVA model if you need more inverter power.

Think this video is inline with what you want.

Last edited:
I did it with 2x LV6548s and a whole lot of work. It's fine, but I would do the Multiplus 2x120 like mentioned above, if I were to do it again.

Back