diy solar

diy solar

5kw inverter drives speakers, USB ports, and oscilloscope-meter nuts

This is a 240V European inverter. Where 1 wire should be Line, the other Neutral.
Except in floating ground BOTH cables have 120V on them (compared to ground).

To solve it you need to ground one of the terminals. That will be the neutral.

Sorry just watched the video.

I think the inverter there uses Type C plug, which is the standard "Euro" plug, and it has two terminals only.

My inverter has 3 terminals designated "L - GND - N", so I think it doesn't really apply to my case.

Sorry just watched the video.

I think the inverter there uses Type C plug, which is the standard "Euro" plug, and it has two terminals only.

My inverter has 3 terminals designated "L - GND - N", so I think it doesn't really apply to my case.

There is no difference if you make the PE-N link INSIDE the inverter, or OUTSIDE (like in the video)
They are completely the same :D

There is no difference if you make the PE-N link INSIDE the inverter, or OUTSIDE (like in the video)
They are completely the same :D
Clearly however the PE-N link at the invertor must be broken when shore power is used.

English, please :ROFLMAO:

Shore power as in grid power? This unit doesn't have a built-in AC charger, if that's what it means.
There are two situations. If you have a grid tied invertor and your house wiring is PE-N bonded already then it’s only if you create an “ island “ ie you power up independently of the grid that depending on where the islanding isolator is , you may break the house PE-N bond. If you do then it needs to be reestablished at the invertor

What you don’t have is multiple PE-N connections. Only one should exist in any generator situation ( grid , invertor , ac genny etc )

There are two situations. If you have a grid tied invertor and your house wiring is PE-N bonded already then it’s only if you create an “ island “ ie you power up independently of the grid that depending on where the islanding isolator is , you may break the house PE-N bond. If you do then it needs to be reestablished at the invertor

What you don’t have is multiple PE-N connections. Only one should exist in any generator situation ( grid , invertor , ac genny etc )

The inverter is an off-grid basic inverter, no AC charger, no PV input, just battery connection.

The house has a few sockets which are 3-pole, but most are 2-pole; I'm not sure if the AC main breaker panel is grounded or not, but there's also a grounding rod outside where some installations are grounded (e.g., cable TV, etc.).

So I thought of just laying the ground wire from the inverter to the ground rod.

Back