diy solar

diy solar

8 month storage for eve 280K's

Tribune

Looking for suggestions on leaving my batteries for 8 months storage unattended. I have 840 Ah of 3p4s Eve 280K's running a REC Bms. Split charge/load busses and two 15 amp DC-DC chargers going to my start batteries (catamaran). 900 w of solar through a Midnight Classic 150. When I was running the T105's, I would disconnect the main solar bank and hang a 50w panel through a PWM controller and everything was perfect returning to the boat. We do 4 months/year on boat and 8 months storage. Would I be best just disconnecting all loads and charge from the LiFePo4 and leave at say 60 or 70% charge? The self discharge should only be about 25% or so (?). I would hook the 50 w up to the start batteries in this case. Or, should I hook the 50w up to the LiFePo4 and leave the DC-DC's connected (through the load bus with Bms connected)? Trying to minimize the loss of capacity to the batteries while using the most fail safe option while away.

I found no good guidance on storage of lithium 280 ah cells.

I store In the summer months when outside temps reach 120 and storage temps are 105. At the start of the four month storage season, I discharge the batteries to 50%. I then shut all power draw off and disconnect the SCCs. When the summer is over, I simply turn the 1650 watts of panels on and in a couple days the batteries are ready for the winter season.

In theory the best thing for me to do would be to pull the batteries and move them to a climate controlled area. In practice disassembling 200 LBS of 16 cells has its own issues, like breaking a stud, dropping a wrench on it, etc.

So I accept that storing in hot temps will degrade the life of the cells, but since I expect 20 more seasons out of them, I will still meet my storage needs. With 100 days of use a year, just won’t have the thousands of cycles required to severely degrade the cells.

That is my technique I developed.

Thanks Chrisski. What were you getting for a self discharge value during the storage? I too have to accept the storage temp hit. Tropics on a boat so my low cell temps are 85 and charging with engine heat added they run to 105. Because the boat will be totally unattended I am looking to avoid any failure points on maintaining. With everything disconnected, while maybe not the best, nothing to fail except a little capacity loss perhaps because of not charging every 6 months.

Thanks Chrisski. What were you getting for a self discharge value during the storage? I too have to accept the storage temp hit. Tropics on a boat so my low cell temps are 85 and charging with engine heat added they run to 105. Because the boat will be totally unattended I am looking to avoid any failure points on maintaining. With everything disconnected, while maybe not the best, nothing to fail except a little capacity loss perhaps because of not charging every 6 months.
I wish I’d measured it, but I did not. The only thing still running was the BMS and Bluetooth Victron shunt.

I wish I’d measured it, but I did not. The only thing still running was the BMS and Bluetooth Victron shunt.
So you only store 4 months and start at 50%. What % is showing when you return after the storage period?

So you only store 4 months and start at 50%. What % is showing when you return after the storage period?
I can’t remember exactly, but very little if any loss. The problem with that though is the shunt only measures what’s after it, and the BMS is before it.

I feel that there may have been an actual 30% to 40% SOC versus what the shunt said around 50%, but I did not write data down.

This year I will measure. I will put the RV in storage in a few weeks and write some data down like SOC before, ah used before storage, and SOC after storage, ah used after storage. SOC after charge and ah into the batteries.

Back