diy solar

diy solar

Advice on connecting 48 volt PIP MPP solar

RWBrown

In an effort to reduce my dependency on grid power for my home, I am planning to install an off-grid, 48 volt MPP solar PIP LV5048 5KW 48V All-In-One solar power system. It will be powered by a 2000 watt ground mounted/fence mounted solar array using 20, 12 Volt, 100 watt Richsolar Polycrystalline solar panels. I plan on connecting the solar panels first in groups of 4 with a series connection so that each group will be 48 volts. Then I will be connecting the 48 volt groups, in parallel, to feed the power to the MPP System. I plan on using two 24 volt Battle Born batteries (connected in series) for storage. Also, I plan to set the priorities on the MPP to use solar power and battery power first and then to use grid power as needed. I have identified 5 circuits in my grid circuit breaker box that I would like to use the solar power for. I would very much appreciate any advice on the best way to connect these circuit to the MPP. Thanks.

Hello. First of all your Solar Voltage needs to be above 60V (cannot charge a 48V battery with 48V, you need more), so connect those panels in series again to make them 96V (obviously now you'll have 1/2 the number of parallel strings).
The minimum AH battery rating for that system is 200AH at 48V so you may need 4 of those batteries at the least (depending on their rating of course)

It sounds as if you have the rest all figured out.

All the best.
Ian

Back