diy solar

diy solar

All-in-one for 600w solar

vanlifer2019

Hello Will
First and foremost I'd like to thank you for the very best informative videos you are posting.
I have 3 solar panel of 200 watt each, at 10amp. Which All-in-one unit is most suitable for me if I am running a DC air-conditioning and a DC 12v refrigrator at the same time. Also how many lithium battery I would need? (by the way, in your video i missed the model name and number for the Tesla battery). Regards, Fred

I would like to know the answer to this question to

I've been on the same path of building and research. I'm kinda new to DC and solar but hopefully this helps. I'm not sure why basic questions with simpler answers get no response here, other than the fact that you need to do the work for your particular set of parameters.

All of these ratings and numbers (panels, inverters, wire/fuse size, etc.) are somewhat standardized but each system needs it's own "stats". In Will's book and many places on the internet you can get the tools needed to research and design a system that will work for your particular needs. Since I am installing in a relatively small vehicle where space is premium, I went with the traditional method of designing my system. Will also gives fast, lazy, and Armageddon scenarios...

Here's my basic method after boiling down all the info. Please correct me in any instance; I'm just learning.

Step 1: (LOAD) Figure out what you plan to power, for how long each day, and get ratings for all of these appliances in Watt-hours. Max amperage is also helpful for wire and fuse sizing. I also plan to test most of these appliances on the bench for real-world numbers during use.

Step 2: (STORE) Size the battery bank based on the daily watt-hour usage plus storage/backup. Try to at least double your used watt-hours in your battery bank. I'm starting "small" with 2400 watt-hours in a 24v/100Ah battery bank. Chemistry will also have an effect on your usable power and battery bank sizing.

Step3: (CHARGE) Size your panel array based on replenishing your daily usage and space you have available. Many factors here! Wiring gauges, series/parallel arrangements, overall voltages, etc. Once you get a handle on this, you can properly decide on a charge controller/inverter, which in my case was an all-in-one unit. Critical numbers are the max open voltage and short circuit amperage for the array.

Step4: (CONTROL) Select unit(s) based on all of the above; MPPT amperage and max solar voltage allowed, inverter size based on appliances, 12v/24v runs to power DC appliances, etc. Select the right unit(s).

Step 5: (BUILD) Design the system. Wiring paths, fuses and fuse blocks, breakers, buses, monitors/shunt, DC converters, etc, etc. All need to be accounted for.

Good luck!

I've been on the same path of building and research. I'm kinda new to DC and solar but hopefully this helps. I'm not sure why basic questions with simpler answers get no response here, other than the fact that you need to do the work for your particular set of parameters.

All of these ratings and numbers (panels, inverters, wire/fuse size, etc.) are somewhat standardized but each system needs it's own "stats". In Will's book and many places on the internet you can get the tools needed to research and design a system that will work for your particular needs. Since I am installing in a relatively small vehicle where space is premium, I went with the traditional method of designing my system. Will also gives fast, lazy, and Armageddon scenarios...

Here's my basic method after boiling down all the info. Please correct me in any instance; I'm just learning.

Step 1: (LOAD) Figure out what you plan to power, for how long each day, and get ratings for all of these appliances in Watt-hours. Max amperage is also helpful for wire and fuse sizing. I also plan to test most of these appliances on the bench for real-world numbers during use.

Step 2: (STORE) Size the battery bank based on the daily watt-hour usage plus storage/backup. Try to at least double your used watt-hours in your battery bank. I'm starting "small" with 2400 watt-hours in a 24v/100Ah battery bank. Chemistry will also have an effect on your usable power and battery bank sizing.

Step3: (CHARGE) Size your panel array based on replenishing your daily usage and space you have available. Many factors here! Wiring gauges, series/parallel arrangements, overall voltages, etc. Once you get a handle on this, you can properly decide on a charge controller/inverter, which in my case was an all-in-one unit. Critical numbers are the max open voltage and short circuit amperage for the array.

Step4: (CONTROL) Select unit(s) based on all of the above; MPPT amperage and max solar voltage allowed, inverter size based on appliances, 12v/24v runs to power DC appliances, etc. Select the right unit(s).

Step 5: (BUILD) Design the system. Wiring paths, fuses and fuse blocks, breakers, buses, monitors/shunt, DC converters, etc, etc. All need to be accounted for.

Good luck!
Believe it or not I can do this. I have EPEVER 40 amp MPPT, 2 165 watt panels, Autotransfer switch, etc... I am considering switching to an All in One but I already have this equipment. Sometimes I will ask basic questions just to be sure about something. The Holy Grail is to power the air conditioning in my RV. Air conditioning just takes so much power there really is not a cheap way to do it and by that I am talking about Batteries. Last week I bought a Harbor Freight Predator 3500 watt quiet generator. It was on sale for 697.00 . It will run the air conditioner and everything else except the microwave at the same time. That said it actually ran the microwave for almost 2 minutes while the air was running. I may just have to use a generator and be done with it. It is fun doing solar I must admit.

Thanks for the time you spent in your post to me !

My pleasure Russ. It's good to recap all the info we are learning in trying to do this correctly. It is a large investment in time and $ for me, so trying to get some longevity is important. Hopefully, the experts here will cover my gaps in knowledge and correct mistakes so all benefit.

Successful A/C in RVs via solar power...seems to be the goal for many and not easy to manage.

Sounds like you have some fun parts to play with and don't need the system. Maybe see what loads you can offset with small solar, using what you have. I hope to have a small generator and never use it (last resort for the system). Watching some prepper guys who store and rotate gas all year seemed like a huge pain, dangerous and costly. In a no-gas situation the storages don't even last that long and you are likely bound to the location of the fuel. All pretty unattractive compared to the free-roaming sun.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. My plans and designs have changed radically from "Oooh, I want a Tesla battery" to something much more realistic and usable.

Back