diy solar

diy solar

Anyone experimented with boosting solar panel output with a mirrored surface?

Seems to me the geometry of using mirrors is messy: at least if the actual sun hits the panel at a low angle you will get something out of it. But as the sun moves across the sky the reflected light from the mirrors could miss the panels completely at times and be useless.
Seems to me your effort would be better spent inclining the panels to , say 3, seasonal positions

Guys, as the OP, I really appreciate all of your GREAT ideas and input, but again, I don't have room on top for more panels and there's no way to tilt the panels to get them out of the way of the two stacked surfboards that are on one side of the panels and the Thule cargo box that's on the other side. I don't have room inside to store a rigid 100 watt Renogy panel like the two on top either so I can use it as a "portable" panel on the ground. If I was going to keep this Sienna then I would probably install a panel on top of the Thule cargo box, but I'll be selling this minivan soon and buying a big tall van so I don't want to spend a bunch of money or time on this project.

My quick and dirty spur of the moment "experiment" using my light grey windshield cover (for my dashboard) as a reflector boosted the input into my Delta 1300 by a few watts (see: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/a...put-with-a-mirrored-surface.69603/post-906600 ). If I can boost the input to my Delta 1300 by even just 10 watts quickly and cheaply then it'll be worth it.

So, this week I'm going to make a super cheapo folding reflector with cardboard lined with aluminum foil. I'll let you know how it goes...

I have two 100 watt Renogy panels mounted on the top of my Toyota Sienna minivan that charge my Ecoflow Delta 1300’s. I wish I had room for more panels but with a Thule cargo box on one side of the racks, 2 surfboards on the other side, and the two panels in the middle, theres just no more room.

PROBLEM: It’s 11:00 AM as I type this and very cloudy and both panels are producing a measly 23 watts total. (If the sun was blazing I would be easily pulling 130+ watts.) Also, the days are getting shorter and the sun is at more of an angle relative to my flat fixed panels which means less energy thru the winter.

QUESTION: Has anyone experimented using a mirrored panel (or maybe just a white panel?) that’s about the same size as my solar panels to reflect light on to the solar panels? What were your results?

Thank you!

Back