diy solar

diy solar

Are Micro-inverters ratings in AC or DC

Derka181

I’m building a 10000w dc solar system for my home ( my city approved me for 8000w ac) I will be using 20-500w solar panels. I had a guy quote me on 10- Ap system micro-inverter (DS3-L) which only produce 768w when two panels are connected to them. Is this 768w panels in AC current or DC? I asked him You are selling me 2- 500w panels and AP system micro-inverters when these panels could produce potentially 1000w under ideal conditions. I also presented him the option of Hoymiles 2000w (see attached picture) . He said “short answer is yes I can get the 2000 W inverter. You could also use the 880 W AP Systems inverter “ your system will never output 2000 W on one inverter due to the orientation, Even for 500 W modules facing due south, on a 2000 W inverter would not get to 100% output”

My question is are micro-rated in AC power or DC? And is going with a bigger micro-inverters a waste of money? . Because Maybe a couple time a year those 1000w of panels could push out 940w at peak. Why not have the extra watt room? Or Is it just a waste of money because it’s will never be optimal?

Attachments

• IMG_9384.jpeg
    IMG_9384.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 2
Power ratings are independent of AC/DC.

2000W AC is the same as 2000W DC, it's just the voltage and current vary.

2000W/240VAC = 8.3A
2000W/48VDC = 41.7A

Bigger micro are a waste of money as you can't utilize that extra rating; however, you might be able to find you could run 2 or more on a single micro, and you might experience improved reliability by running them at less than their rated power.

The DC ratings of the micros should pertain to the panel input DC voltage and DC current.

2000W/240VAC = 8.3A
2000W/48VDC = 41.7A

Bigger micro are a waste of money as you can't utilize that extra rating; however, you might be able to find you could run 2 or more on a single micro, and you might experience improved reliability by running them at less than their rated power.

The DC ratings of the micros should pertain to the panel input DC voltage and DC current.
What’s your thought on running

2000W/240VAC = 8.3A
2000W/48VDC = 41.7A

What’s your thoughts on Pairing 4 -500w panels with 1-Hoymiles 2000w micro- inverter I believe makes more sense then pairing 2-500w panels with 2-APsystem DS3 880w . That 2 apsystem micro inverter system would clip and waste potential 240w.

What’s your thought on running

What’s your thoughts on Pairing 4 -500w panels with 1-Hoymiles 2000w micro- inverter I believe makes more sense then pairing 2-500w panels with 2-APsystem DS3 880w . That 2 apsystem micro inverter system would clip and waste potential 240w.

Whatever works for you. It's important to remember that you'll rarely get rated power from panels. Check the NOCT or NMOT ratings for your panels, and those are a little more representative of real-world performance.

I have two 400W REC panels connected to each 720W Chilicon microinverter. I think this "overpaneling" is normal practice. I have gotten near max output from the micros before.

Back