diy solar

diy solar

Battery Rack 3.0 Almost Complete

Brett V

Mad Scientist
This is my third and final ;) DIY battery revision, the first two were contained in a metal truck toolbox. Went a different route here to repurpose my old Power Conversion (Eaton) lead battery rack and distribution panel. The bus bars are rated at 600 amps, spaced and supported on fiberglass insulators to allow direct mounting of the breakers to the positive bus and front panel. A 3/0 jumper connects the negative bus bar to a Victron shunt mounted to the back of the upper black panel. The other side of the shunt and the positive bus bar are connected to 15 feet of 4/0 cable running over to the Growatt.

I used a 6" rack shelf for the Raspberry Pi and 5 volt converter for Solar Assistant. A Blue Rigger powered USB extension cable was needed for the data connection to the Growatt.

Each battery is a 16s EVE 230 Ah pack connected to a Overkill 100 amp BMS and 300 amp class-T fuse. The battery cables are 2 gauge welding cable and are all the same length, with the excess looped inside the side rails of the rack on the higher shelves. Each has its own 100 amp breaker connecting to the positive bus bar. The cells are bound with 2" fiberglass filament tape and an overwrap of kapton tape. I've had absolutely no issues with this technique.

The top battery is not yet connected, waiting on a replacement BMS from Overkill.

I needed something to hide the bolts holding the shunt to the upper steel panel, as well as some other holes there from its prior life. Thanks to @Adam De Lay for the inspiration!

Attachments

• 3.0 Rack Front.jpg
    3.0 Rack Front.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.0 Labeling.jpg
    3.0 Labeling.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • 3.0 Distribution Layout.jpg
    3.0 Distribution Layout.jpg
    997.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 3.0 Breaker overview.jpg
    3.0 Breaker overview.jpg