diy solar

diy solar

best charging configuration for dull days

Arosfa

Hi,
I have a question regarding the best voltage --12 or 24-- for charging batteries on dull days. It occurs to me that batteries are charged with current for any given voltage and one should optimise for current supply. My system is currently 24 volt with panels and batteries in series but all parts of the system, chargers and inverter, are happy with either 12 or 24 volts. Would it be better to go to a 12 volt setup to double the current or would it make no difference? I understand that this would also double the load current, but that is within one's control to an extent. Weather isn't. Rain every day for the last 4 months in Wales has made off-grid living a challenge to say the least.

24v is more efficient than 12v. But watts are watts, no matter what the voltage is. Switching to 12v, would give you more amps. But the watts wouldn't be any better.

You can't get blood from a turnip.

If you have shit conditions, you get shit performance at all voltages. You might be able to find a way to squeak out another 1-2% of goody by swapping things around, but that's on a relative basis, i.e., lets say you have a 1000W array that is only getting 100W due to poor conditions. I'm NOT saying you'll get another 10-20W from a 1000W array, I'm saying you'll get another 1-2W from the 100W of performance you're getting.

Now... this I have to know.

Please show me an inverter that can accept either 12 or 24VDC input. I've never seen anything like that.

You can't get blood from a turnip.

If you have shit conditions, you get shit performance at all voltages. You might be able to find a way to squeak out another 1-2% of goody by swapping things around, but that's on a relative basis, i.e., lets say you have a 1000W array that is only getting 100W due to poor conditions. I'm NOT saying you'll get another 10-20W from a 1000W array, I'm saying you'll get another 1-2W from the 100W of performance you're getting.

Now... this I have to know.

Please show me an inverter that can accept either 12 or 24VDC input. I've never seen anything like that.

24v is more efficient than 12v. But watts are watts, no matter what the voltage is. Switching to 12v, would give you more amps. But the watts wouldn't be any better.
Understood, but given the same wattage would a battery charge faster with higher current or is power the deciding factor. I suppose I could do the experiment and report back :)

Hi,
I have a question regarding the best voltage --12 or 24-- for charging batteries on dull days. It occurs to me that batteries are charged with current for any given voltage and one should optimise for current supply. My system is currently 24 volt with panels and batteries in series but all parts of the system, chargers and inverter, are happy with either 12 or 24 volts. Would it be better to go to a 12 volt setup to double the current or would it make no difference? I understand that this would also double the load current, but that is within one's control to an extent. Weather isn't. Rain every day for the last 4 months in Wales has made off-grid living a challenge to say the least.
Thanks for all the prompt replies.

Back