diy solar

diy solar

Best placement for SPD

Kent86

I currently have an EMP shield wired directly into my main service panel but I'm not sure if that will provide adequate protection to my inverter and solar equipment which is about 60' away and in my basement. The EG4 6000xp inverter is connected to the main service panel through the AC input, so there's some protection but I'm not sure if the EMP shield will also protect from lighting surges on the inverter's two mppt's. I recently ordered some 300v DC SPD's from MidNite solar but I'm not entirely sure if they're necessary, considering the system is tied into an EMP shield through the AC input. Also, would it be beneficial to install another SPD on the AC output of the inverter, or is that just useless redundancy? Any input would be appreciated!

What's on AC wires at service entrance will reduce surge reaching equipment. Another unit at the inverter grid input could reduce surge coming from power lines more. Wires between service entrance and inverter may not pick up much coupled energy. Wires from inverter output to house may not pick up much, but I suppose that could happen. I never considered protection on AC output, but maybe for a nearby event. Except for Knob and Tube, those wires are close together, shouldn't get differential surge the way power lines several feet apart do.
Anything picked up by PV array and wiring, the protector at service entrance won't do anything for so needs a separate one.

SPD's should be placed on each set of wires entering the house. At or near the point of entering the house.
This includes AC, DC, PV, and loads to other buildings.

Thanks for the input. I read the thread posted by 420hmsPA and it sounds like the EMP sheild at the main service is sufficient for the AC side. I'll plan on installing the other SPD's on the PV inputs.

Back