diy solar

diy solar

Breaker fillers for Midnite Big Baby

cdsolar

caduceus
Does anybody have a recommendation for breaker filler covers (not the wire knockouts) for the Midnite Big Baby breaker box?

I initially had two MNEAC breakers mounted on the left side. However, I need them mounted dead center, to provide enough space on the DIN rail to mount two terminal blocks on each side of the breakers. The terminal blocks do not stick out of the box. If I mount the breakers to the left side, there is some wasted space on the left side of the DIN rail as it can't even hold one terminal block that way. Hence the need for dead center.

I would need two fillers. The MNEAC breakers are 13mm wide and 57mm high where they stick out of the box

If I have to shave something, that's fine.

Thanks

Does anybody have a recommendation for breaker filler covers (not the wire knockouts) for the Midnite Big Baby breaker box?

I initially had two MNEAC breakers mounted on the left side. However, I need them mounted dead center, to provide enough space on the DIN rail to mount two terminal blocks on each side of the breakers. The terminal blocks do not stick out of the box. If I mount the breakers to the left side, there is some wasted space on the left side of the DIN rail as it can't even hold one terminal block that way. Hence the need for dead center.

I would need two fillers. The MNEAC breakers are 13mm wide and 57mm high where they stick out of the box

If I have to shave something, that's fine.

Thanks
Honestly, give them a call or shoot them an e-mail, they likely have it at hand and they are pretty good about the small bits & bobs like this,

Honestly, give them a call or shoot them an e-mail, they likely have it at hand and they are pretty good about the small bits & bobs like this,
I am told by MIdnite that they do not make any for the big baby. If anyone can recommend something, that would be great.

Clean enough I was going to suggest screwing/riveting on a blank of aluminum sheet either side but that seems cleaner.

You have pictures of the inside of how you wired up the box?

What are the added term blocks for?

My big baby hangs off of my inverter. (Victron Multiplus II 48V inverter/charger) .As per the picture, I have a 20a breaker for a single outlet, and a 30a breaker for a generator inlet.

The 4 terminal blocks allow me to connect hot neutral and ground in the big baby without additional busbars or pigtails, and I can change AWG if desired/appropriate between the inverter and the outlet and the inverter and inlet. So two full circuits, all on the one DIN rail. Hot on the breaker, neutral and ground each on a terminal block. Repeat for the other circuit, hence 4 terminal blocks and the two breakers, all of which fit fine on the DIN rail when the breakers are in the center. They do not all fit when the breakers are to the left (or right) side of the opening, because then there is not enough room for a single terminal block to the left (right) of the breaker, wasting space on the DIN rail. This seems a little cleaner, IMO, than pigtails for neutrals and grounds in the box.

Here are the terminal blocks I used. They are 600V/65A, so they are fine for my needs.

https://www.stellavolta.com/SolaDeck-Power-Panel-Component-DIN-Mount-Terminal-Block.htm

I'll post a pic of the (not yet completed) wiring later.

Last edited:
Back