diy solar

diy solar

Can this battery pack be separated?

Whereiszack

Forgive my noob question. I've got a ton to learn.

I'm redoing the solar in my 144 sprinter van and putting 700w on the roof.

I was looking at this battery bank and wondering if i could split it into two? Half the current capacity would likely be perfect for me, but I'm not savvy enough yet to understand whether and how easy it would be to separate the battery into two 24v packs.

Thank you for your help!

Need to find the + & - end terminals and then break the middle point connection to create 2x 24v batteries.

Note the description says the pack can be divided so check the manual for direct instructions. Need two separate BMS for the two 24v batteries. BMS not included. Should not be an issue once you figure out how to lift the 675# pack into place. Again 675 pounds. Maybe an engine hoist would work. I would be far more inclined to get separate cells and place them in a box one at a time then slap a BMS on top.

I was looking at this battery bank and wondering if i could split it into two? Half the current capacity would likely be perfect for me, but I'm not savvy enough yet to understand whether and how easy it would be to separate the battery into two 24v packs.
As 400Bird said, looks like it would be a PITA to try cutting these Without Damage to the cells below.
Likely not a job for a "Noob" - maybe with some proper tooling and equipment this could be cut without damage, maybe.
BUT
the more basic question: why do you feel 'cutting in half' will make"two 24volt packs"?
The description on Batteryhookup clearly says the cells are all in series - 48 CELLS in series (not 48 volt). This pack is built as a 153.6v (nominal) and if it can be cut without damage to the underlying cells, would yeild you 6- 24v (25.6v) packs. At 280Ah this is a 48kWh battery.

As an alternative - also on Battery hookup, 105Ah cells x 8 x $57 = $456 per 2.7kWh pack add a BMS and this would be a great place to start if your new to this. If you need more energy storage, do multiples in parallel with fuses and disconnects for a nice neat and serviceable system.
Note: there are other sources for cells, do a search on this forum.

Last edited:
Thanks you guys. This definitely seems like way more hassle than it's worth. I'll look into other cell options that aren't so intimidating or risky even if a higher price per kWh

Lets compare:
Cells $456 for 2700Wh pack = 17cents per Wh
Pack $6458 for 43000Wh pack = 15cents per Wh

nearly the same cost, the assembled pack will require truck freight (unless you live nearby, & can pick up a 650 lb pack) and the added complexity of cutting it apart. Which could end in ruined cells that are worthless. Not a great place to start if your learning, individual cells are easier to work with safely. As noted before, there are other sources of cells than Battery Hookup.

Back