diy solar

diy solar

Charge voltage? Tail current? Discharge voltage? Recovery voltage.

HandyAndy

Are the standard test conditions for capacity testing 80% charged to 20% discharged as I see the watt meter in one of Wills videos from April this year around 3.3v per cell at the beginning of test and 2.7v at the end. I'm not really used to what these cells settle to after being charged assumedly to 3.65v? ( I don't even know what tail current the charger allows current to drop to before it decides to shut off, unless that's user configurable in some chargers) or what voltage they bounce back to after discharge cut off (I've bought the Victron IP22 blue smart 240v charger in readiness for eight CALB cells arriving after seeing Wills video just before Christmas but it hasn't arrived yet either so I can't fiddle yet. :D
Some data points would be appreciated. Ta

There really isnt a standard test condition. 95% of batteries you buy have capacities rated at .5C - which means it's charged at 50% of the capacity in amps (100ah cell charged at 50a) aka a 2 hour charge.
The manufacturer cycle life is usually rated at 80% DOD which is from full down to 20% of battery.
Absolute max capacity of a cell is usually done from 0% SOC to 100% SOC at .2C or lower which is slow enough that it gives the cell enough time to absorb the charge and minimize the 'surface charge' effect so it's a true reflection of cell capacity.
Usable capacity around here is usually done with charge/discharge profiles held "between the knees" which stops short of the sudden rise in voltage above 3.4V and below 3.15V which is about a 85-90% depth of charge/discharge. This is done to maximize lifespan by avoiding damage to the cells.

Back