diy solar

diy solar

Did I damage (4) Battleborn batteries?

The mistake that many people make when using LiFe batteries ( of any brand ) is that they don't wire them with the ability to re-set the BMS or diagnose them.

My suggestion for wiring all brands of Li batteries in a 12 volt system is:

( neg bus bar ) -- ( battery A ) ---- ( breaker ) ----- ( positive bus bar )

( neg bus bar ) -- ( battery B ) -----( breaker ) ----- ( positive bus bar )

( neg bus bar ) ---( battery C ) ---- ( breaker ) ----- ( positive bus bar )

( neg bus bar #2 ) ---( significant load 1 ) ---( breaker ) ----- ( positive bus bar )

( neg bus bar #2 ) --- ( fuse block ) -----( breaker ) - ( positive bus bar )

etc

This avoids the risk of putting too much power through a battery terminal and over heating it, as each battery is designed for max 100 amps continuous, not an unlimited amount of amps going through the terminals.

it also allows re-setting each internal BMS simply by turning the breaker off and then back on - very simple and effective.

Last but not least, it also makes it much safer to do routine checks, edits and maintenance.

There is a reasonable chance that the battery that is mis behaving was wired so that 3 - 400 amps were going through the terminals instead of the 100 amp spec of the battery.

Last edited:
Good news, I was finally able to move the RV to the other side of the property close to the power pole. I have wired up a 50A outlet and am now running on 50A. As was recommended I will charge each battery with the IP65 charger up to 14.4v in order to balance the cells (assuming that they are unbalanced). Each battery will be on the charger for at least 48 hrs. Is that enough time to balance the cells? How will I know that the cells are balanced?

Do you have a picture of how the batteries were wired in parallel?

Sounds like one battery was dead, the other close to being dead and two healthyish batteries.

Improper wiring might be the root cause.

Do you have a picture of how the batteries were wired in parallel?

Sounds like one battery was dead, the other close to being dead and two healthyish batteries.

Improper wiring might be the root cause.
Here is the best picture that I have. In 2020 I wired three of the batteries in parallel and the fourth was added in 2021. They have basically been wired like this ever since. Back in 2022 I did remove the batteries as we winterized the RV and put it into storage.

Attachments

• Solar setup.jpeg
    Solar setup.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 15
Here is the best picture that I have. In 2020 I wired three of the batteries in parallel and the fourth was added in 2021. They have basically been wired like this ever since. Back in 2022 I did remove the batteries as we winterized the RV and put it into storage.

Looks correct with your main connects "across" all four batteries. The key is to ensure that all connections are properly torqued.

What I find very disconcerting is the red cut-off switch on the PV input of the MPPT. Is your array Voc less than the rated voltage of that switch?

Back