diy solar

diy solar

DIY Vendor agnostic Smart Shunt & Victron Smart Solar MPPT data logger based on ESP8266

This looks like a fantastic project, thanks for all the hard work putting this together and for sharing.

I've noticed there are a few influxdb parameters that are commented out in the manual and stating not fully implemented. What would be required to get this sending the data to a local influxdb server? Happy to help with any testing if required.

My use case similar to above is in a camper trailer where I don't have constant internet access, however I do have a small low powered x86 server running some docker containers and an influxdb server. Would be great to log the data to influxdb for viewing while offline and also monitoring usage while on the move.

Also is it possible to connect multiple INA226 devices to a single esp8266 board and specify the I2C address for each? My plan is to use multiple INA226's to measure various DC loads in the camper and would be a lot easier to connect these all back to a single esp rather than having an esp per shunt.
Hi,
This is essentially an ESP self-contained solution relying on the internet to report solar values.
Without internet it loses a lot of it's value. It relies also on NTP to get the time required to report long trem integrations.

You can interface several INA 226 to one ESP, but I would not recommend it. An ESP8266 costs almost nothing and that way you have a galvanic separation between all shunts. It's so easy to fry your device with wrong current loops.
An INA 226 can measure shunts off rail up to -0.6 to +26V but that is easily exceeded.
If you measure severals currents starting from the same battery it should be OK. There is also the INA3221 that measures three currents and one voltage. I have used it successfully.

Since many inquiries come in, I will consider (long-term) a central ESP32 being the WiFi AP and serving several local ESP8266, but that's still
Sci-Fi today.

Back