diy solar

diy solar

Dokio 200W Panel doesnt charge Ecoflow River 2 - what could be wrong?

GoetzSaCebu

I bought me the 256Wh River2 and want to also charge it with Solar.
To get more power I bought the "DOKIO 200W 18V Flexible Foldble Solar Panel" as its Parameters match the River 2

River 2 Solar Input: 11-50V 13A, 220W Max

DOKIO Solar Output parameters:
Open Circuit Voltage Voc: 22.5V
Max Power Vmpp: 18V
Short circuit current Isc: 11.36A
Max current Impp: 11.12A

The Dokio has a SAE Connector on the panel and with the Ecoflow also comes a SAE to XT60 connector.
So I bought me a SAE to SAE connector to avoid polarity switch when connecting.

Unfortunately I ave no Voltage meter, but after I connected the Solarpanel to the Ecoflow the INPUT shows only 0 even with the solarpanel exposed to direct sunlight.
Any advice besides "Buy a voltmeter" (that's next on my list...) ?

Well, yeah, get a DVM. I have some SAE connectors, but I’m converting them to PowerPole, as that’s my standard. If I had to guess I’d say you’ve got the polarity reversed. Post pictures of your varuois connectors and how they are arranged.

Many SAE connectors are reversed depending on use. I assume yours are backwards.

Agreed. I have an older Zamp panel and the SAE connector is reversed. I have to be careful using it on anything else when camping. They do sell adapters that will "reverse" the connector.

Took a while to get my multimeter, here are the fotos.
The Sun wasn't in a perfect spot but I got around 18.6 Volt.
But at 3pm I was only getting between 200 and 600mA

Ok I understand that measuring the Amp is probably triggering the short circuit protection (if DOKIO has that build in)
But why then is the Ecoflow still not charging, or is the Ecoflow also like a "short circuit" to the DOKIO?

IMG20240416152442.jpgIMG20240416152558.jpgIMG20240416152849.jpgIMG20240416152455.jpg

Last edited:
You need to move the red lead over to the left hand terminal when reading amps.

Also hope you have spare fuses if that panel can really put out 11+ amps (or you don’t move the lead back when measuring a different voltage).

Solar panels don’t have short circuit protection, they are inherently current limited by their construction.

I’m kind of surprised you only got 18 V out of a panel that’s rated for Voc of 22.5 , but maybe it was a partly cloudy day, or you were in the shade of that building?

Last edited:
I bought me the 256Wh River2 and want to also charge it with Solar.
To get more power I bought the "DOKIO 200W 18V Flexible Foldble Solar Panel" as its Parameters match the River 2

River 2 Solar Input: 11-50V 13A, 220W Max

DOKIO Solar Output parameters:
Open Circuit Voltage Voc: 22.5V
Max Power Vmpp: 18V
Short circuit current Isc: 11.36A
Max current Impp: 11.12A

The Dokio has a SAE Connector on the panel and with the Ecoflow also comes a SAE to XT60 connector.
So I bought me a SAE to SAE connector to avoid polarity switch when connecting.

Unfortunately I ave no Voltage meter, but after I connected the Solarpanel to the Ecoflow the INPUT shows only 0 even with the solarpanel exposed to direct sunlight.
Any advice besides "Buy a voltmeter" (that's next on my list...) ?
A little late but you have the river 2 solar input specs wrong. Try removing the sae to sae polarity adaptor.

Screenshot_20240416_060610_Chrome.jpg

A little late but you have the river 2 solar input specs wrong. Try removing the sae to sae polarity adaptor.

View attachment 209603
Still ought to work though, yes?

Yes should still be within limits. It must be a reverse polarity issue (ecoflow will just not charge, won't show any indication of error on display).
Indeed, my first thought as well. OTOH, there are a lot of unknowns here, and the OP doesn't seem very forthcoming with the details.

@GoetzSaCebu please post pictures that "Explain it to me like I'm five years old". The panels in the sun, the connectors, the adapters, the voltages you measure, etc. Your other pictures don't seem to show any shadows, so you were either in the shade or it was a really overcast day, for instance.

Sadly I don't always have enough time to work with these items, so just be patient - I will try out what you said and ost the info here.
ItÄs just at the moment not my top priority - yeah some people can prioritise their lives ...

BTW I tried it before without the SAE2SAEconverter but still the Ecoflow didn't show anything.

Back