diy solar

diy solar

Double check my setup

cottageman

I've already got a system setup and am adding more panels. Just wondering if someone can look this over for me. I think it's okay but would love another set of eyes on it.

-4 × 250w panels 15a fuse rating
Wired in series parallel 2x2
-10awg wire
-30amp breaker
-10awg wire
-Renogy 40a rover controller
-10awg wire
-40amp breaker
-10awg wire to batteries

Thanks

What voltage is your battery? (And the chemistry).

What is it going on/in (RV, boat, shed,house,etc).

I would also highly recommend doing a drawing showing all the wire runs and everything that is attached (for the wire - include wire size and length). This helps prevent assumptions and it also gives you (the installer) a visual drawing to use.

Also, how important is it the solar to run, (Renogy has a very hit or miss reputation on this website- some things seem ok - others seem to be nightmares. Often with no rhyme or reason.

PS - Depending on the voltage of the battery the 40a charge controller is either massively too small, slightly too small - but well within overpanel area - or a bit big - but ok.

(See what I mean about assumptions).

Please post from the panels:
Voc
Vmp
Imp

And from the solar controller
Max VOC voltage
Range of useable solar voltage.

And the coldest it can get where you live - and nearest big city (that’s well known). Geography plays a part too.

What voltage is your battery? (And the chemistry).

What is it going on/in (RV, boat, shed,house,etc).

I would also highly recommend doing a drawing showing all the wire runs and everything that is attached (for the wire - include wire size and length). This helps prevent assumptions and it also gives you (the installer) a visual drawing to use.

Also, how important is it the solar to run, (Renogy has a very hit or miss reputation on this website- some things seem ok - others seem to be nightmares. Often with no rhyme or reason.

PS - Depending on the voltage of the battery the 40a charge controller is either massively too small, slightly too small - but well within overpanel area - or a bit big - but ok.

(See what I mean about assumptions).

Please post from the panels:
Voc
Vmp
Imp

And from the solar controller
Max VOC voltage
Range of useable solar voltage.

And the coldest it can get where you live - and nearest big city (that’s well known). Geography plays a part too. Theausten

This is for an off grid cabin in Ontario Canada, temperature drops to -25c. property has poor southern exposure. Solar system is already installed but the array is small and I want to add to it. My current system is maxed out on the charge controller. I've got the renogy controller and panels from someone upgrading their system.

Current system
Batteries 8 6v AGM
Wired into 24v system
60a charge controller
6 x 250 w panels

things I'm adding

Panels I've got 2 of each.

250w Canadian solar
-voc 37.2
-vmp 30.1
Imp 8.30

250w hanwha solarone
Voc 37.7
Vmp 30.4
Imp 8.23

renogy 40amp controller
1040w @24v
100vdc

20ft of 10guage wire

The wiring is about 6 feet from the panels to the controller and 4 feet from the controller to the batteries.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 20240212_185021.jpg
    20240212_185021.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back