diy solar

diy solar

Dual 48v battery banks w/ Anderson disconnect- Class T / Switch / Bus Bar / Lynx ??

mattleonard

I'm building a semi-modular system in a cargo trailer and looking for advice on wiring / fusing / DC distribution - with a goal of keeping a simple/small footprint that would allow me to add/remove batteries occasionally. Appreciate any guidance here!

I have (2) banks of batteries (each pair of SOK batteries in a rack on wheels) for modularity - and ~200lb racks are still somewhat moveable. I may add a 3rd rack in the future, and having the ability to have discrete portable/rolling 10kWh racks (with a smaller inverter rig on top) would be great for my purposes. I was thinking the SmartShunt (vs Lynx Shunt) to save cost, and have additional terminals on the Distributor if I ever expand. I'll have a Cerbo for monitoring everything.

• Any concerns using SB175 connectors? I have made these with 2/0 in the past (though harder to find parts) - I think 1/0 would be too small for the Victron 48/5000 unit if ever not in parallel weren't in parallel. I could up the Distributor->Inverter to 4/0.

• Where to put the Class T fuse/s? Debating if the Class T fuse should be before the SB175 connection (closer to each battery bank, but would need a way to mount this in an already-full 8u rack. What about a single Class T fuse at the Shunt - with both battery lugs stacked on that?

• Switch - do I need it? The idea was when removing a battery bank I can ensure it's not under load/charge, and not having an unplugged SB175 be live. But the MPPT's would ever have energized in on the Distributor bus bar. And I can use the SB175 insulator/boots to cover them when not in use.

Last edited:
Fuses should be on the positive. And as close to the battery as possible.
The negative is bonded to the frame, in a mobile installation.

Is that switch rated higher than 48v?

I was looking at similar until I learned it wouldn’t handle the charging voltage or something like that.

Back