diy solar

diy solar

Durable Heat Shrink for PV Butt Splice Connections

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member
Typically I do not get excited over heat shrink, but today I think I found my favorite. It is lined with adhesive and when it cools down, creates an incredibly strong connection between two PV wires.

This is for those of you who prefer butt splicing their PV cables instead of using MC4 for PV extensions or connections.

20230312_121007.jpg
I found this heat shrink at Lowe's and it is very easy to find. 1/2" works great for 10 AWG PV conductors.

I have been doing this for a long time and usually order marine grade heat shrink from Amazon. But this stuff is superior. The thickness and durability is in another level. Check it out next time you need to connect PV wires.

I'll have to pick some up if I see it at HD. (I dislike Lowes, mainly because they don't carry Milwaukee ?)

I was really impressed with this when putting my battery cables together. You could see the adhesive run out the edges when shrinking.
Thanks to whoever it was for sharing that website last year. ??

I was in the middle of a late afternoon project and just didn’t have right size heat shrink and ran over to Lowe’s. Not all GB heat shrink is adhesive lined. Being stubborn and didn’t want to stop the project I bought it anyway. Spread a thin film of Shoe Goop on the wire just before shrinking and called it good.

Last edited:
I was in the middle of a late afternoon project and just didn’t have right size heat shrink and ran over to Lowe’s. Not at GB heat shrink is adhesive lined. Being stubborn and didn’t want to stop the project I bought it anyway. Spread a thin film of Shoe Goop on the wire just before shrinking and called it good.

Been there, got that t-shirt!

Things like adhesive-lined heat shrink are like hen's teeth (or silly $$$) here in Thailand, I have to get mine from China! And of course, you always need just another foot of the size you just finished!

I use thermal glue gun to coat connections before heat shrink.
how do you deal with the glue preventing the heat shrink to slide on?
does the heat of the melted glue cause the heat shrink to contract at all?
getting the heat shrink on before the glue solidifies seems important. (although the hot air for the heat shrink should cause some re-melting..)

those concerns aside, that seems like a great way to get a nice seal.

In theory you want the heat shrink to be twice the wire diameter size. I just do a skim coat with a bunch at the solder point and let it harden. When heat shrink is heated it remelts the glue which has a lower temperature and it will push glue out the ends as it shrinks. Wouldn't use it under water, but fine for light environments. While electronics seems to keep getting cheaper, hardware is getting more expensive.

Back