diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Mini-Split and EcoFlow Delta Pro Set-up

AB in NV

I'm fairly new to all things DC, but have years of experience on the AC side so I don't always understand how DC power is managed through digital circuitry. AC is much more analog.

I'm building an off-grid shop with apartment to live in while I build my eventual home. The living space is only about 160 sf. I can run anything I need off the Delta Pro, but generally only one large load at a time (saw, compressor, hot plate, microwave, etc.). My next purchase is going to be an EG4 12,000 btu hybrid mini-split for year-round climate control and direct-to-DC power supply option. But if I plug it into my Delta Pro, I won't be able to run any other large loads. But if I plug it into my solar panels (2-4) 48V Canadian Solar 445W Bi-facial, I loose the ability to keep my Delta Pro Charged. I know I could always buy a ... (fill in the blank) ... to get the system to work independently, but I would love to use the same panels to run the mini-split and then any extra power to charge the Delta Pro. This isn't my long-term plan, just for several months during home construction.

One system has an operating voltage of 90-450V (mini-split) and the other one has an operating range of 11-150V (Delta Pro). My hope was to use the same array for both. What would happen if I split my DC (either 96V or 144V) between the two units--kinda like sharing a bus bar? Would one automatically draw more than the other? Since both are able to operate on variable wattage, would it really matter? The Delta Pro will take whatever I give it, but if it wins the tug-of-war, the EG4 will shut down for 10 minutes due to low wattage. Could I try it out and see if it works, or will this fry the electronics on the input side of either device?

I've searched other threads for a specific enough answer and couldn't find one--especially to the "what-if" questions above. If this belongs in a different discussion, let me know--I'm a noob and this is my first post.

Attachments

• EcoFlow DELTA Pro User manual.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • EG4-12K-AC-Only-Mini-Split-Spec-Sheet-1.1.1.pdf
    277.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If you are talking about parallel connecting two MPPT's to a single PV circuit.
That won't work because the two MPPT's will fight over control of the circuit.
Neither will perform correctly. They will always be trying to adjust to what the other is doing to the circuit. And neither will be able to lock on to any production.

If you are talking about switching back and forth between the two MPPT's, this is fine. As long as the PV circuit is within the parameters of both.

If you are talking about parallel connecting two MPPT's to a single PV circuit.
That won't work because the two MPPT's will fight over control of the circuit.
Neither will perform correctly. They will always be trying to adjust to what the other is doing to the circuit. And neither will be able to lock on to any production.

If you are talking about switching back and forth between the two MPPT's, this is fine. As long as the PV circuit is within the parameters of both.
So if I understand correctly, both devices (EG4 heat pump and Delta Pro) have built-in MPPT's and they are constantly adjusting the draw on the panels to find the optimal current and voltage to pull in. By attaching another MPPT to the same circuit, they will never get a solid reading--like shooting a moving target.

If this is correct, what do most MPPT's do when something else causes "power volatility" on the input side? Do they shut down, default to a certain manufacturer's setting, or just keep trying until they fail prematurely?

So if I understand correctly, both devices (EG4 heat pump and Delta Pro) have built-in MPPT's and they are constantly adjusting the draw on the panels to find the optimal current and voltage to pull in. By attaching another MPPT to the same circuit, they will never get a solid reading--like shooting a moving target.

If this is correct, what do most MPPT's do when something else causes "power volatility" on the input side? Do they shut down, default to a certain manufacturer's setting, or just keep trying until they fail prematurely?
They are constantly adjusting and trying to get to the maximum power output.
They do this by adjusting the load (current) on the circuit. And monitoring the voltage and wattage. If they can't get control, they keep restarting.
If you have ever watched the input in the morning, as the sun is rising. It's similar to that. But it will never lock on, because the other MPPT is screwing with the same circuit.

Back